memorization tricks

Many of these are from EMS, but useful to most providers. Please feel free to add to the list:

PQRST for describing a painful problem

Pastmeds for workup of sob (progression, associated chest pain, sputum, temp, medications, exercise tolerance, dx, severity)

Sludge for cholinergic overdose

aeioutips for altered mental status

critical patient and suddenly forgotten everything you know? Just Vomit (vitals, o2, monitor, IV, tubes(ET, Foley) & Transfer(?)

basic admission orders: ADCVANDISML:

admit to (service, name of provider), dx, condition, vitals, activity,nursing orders, diet, IVs, special studies, meds, labs

I hope this thread takes off.  Uh, apparently folks didn't care for the GI related acronyms that I provided a couple of weeks ago for hematuria and serotonin syndrome (SHIITTT and SHART).

S:  stone, H:  hemoglobinopathy, I:  iatrogenic, I:  infection, T:  thrombocytopenia, T:  trauma, T:  tumor

S:  sweating, H:  high temp, A:  agitated mental status, R:  increased reflexes, T:  tremors, and the acronym namesake, diarrhea.

Archived