Class of 2020

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2017 at 7:32 PM, dcaPrePA said:

Hi El! Do you return the provided laptop once the program is over?

Hi,

No its ours once we graduate- it is considered property of the program until then. The program's IT team will help us reset it (removing the Duke Login system admin controlling) and then its ours to keep. Let me know if you have any more questions or message me directly! :)

El

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2017 at 6:42 PM, Ella0106 said:

Congrats to you guys! I'm a first year student at Duke so let me know if you have any questions!

-El

Hi El! A lot of people have been telling me to not do anything before PA school but I have so much time on my hands! I don't mind studying a few stuff before schools starts. Any recommendations on stuff to brush up on? Thanks!

On 11/18/2017 at 8:42 PM, Ella0106 said:

Congrats to you guys! I'm a first year student at Duke so let me know if you have any questions!

-El

Hello!

I had some questions regarding financial aid/loans. My boyfriend and I want to apartment hunt in durham, but we dont really know our budget yet because I dont know what kind of loans I will be getting/ how much a month I will get for living expenses. What is your experience with this?

Thanks!

On 12/27/2017 at 10:31 PM, QuinoaLoverYummy said:

Hi El! A lot of people have been telling me to not do anything before PA school but I have so much time on my hands! I don't mind studying a few stuff before schools starts. Any recommendations on stuff to brush up on? Thanks!

Definitely understand that feeling! Its hard to study in advance because we go into so much detail and so fast that background knowledge helps a little but generally we were all on a  leveld playing field. However, if it has been a few years since you've taken physiology or anatomy...it wouldnt hurt to brush up on that! We took physiology course and finished it in 5 weeks, an exam every Monday morning which was crazy! I know classmates who weren't biology majors and/or took it years ago struggled a little bit. 

Physiology:

If you realllllly wanna do some prepping ahead of time ...a lot of our classmates watched videos from our instructor on a site called coursera.org. Register with an email address and watch videos for human physiology. (there are also notes, quizzes, and exams that are very helpful to test your knowledge). I would suggest only doing this if you really want to because the lecture videos are very similar to our lectures. 

On 1/1/2018 at 11:15 PM, activemath said:

Hello!

I had some questions regarding financial aid/loans. My boyfriend and I want to apartment hunt in durham, but we dont really know our budget yet because I dont know what kind of loans I will be getting/ how much a month I will get for living expenses. What is your experience with this?

Thanks!

Hi! 

I personally saved a few thousand dollars as buffer money but an living purely on loan money (2 federal loans that we were all offered) and I chose to live alone and closest to school so this required me to pay more for rent but I barely put gas in my car :)

Here are some links that will help you have an idea on budgeting:

https://medschool.duke.edu/education/student-services/office-financial-aid/resources

Student Budget from the Office of Financial Aid

https://medschool.duke.edu/sites/medschool.duke.edu/files/field/attachments/pabudget.pdf

Our loan money comes in at the beginning of each semester. Make sure to have money to pay for your first month of living in Durham. Decide how close you want to be from school and start looking ~3 months in advance (some apartments have 60day availablity). The closer and newer apartments run around ~$1200/month for a 1 bedroom. Apartments that were a little further away, ~10 minutes, ran around $800-900/month. 

Do your best to save, save, save before school starts! I took out the full loan money because I did not want to worry or stress about money and thankfully I don't :) 

Let me know if you have more questions, feel free to message me directly also. 

(sorry for the delay I dont get notifications for messages on here except direct ones)

On 12/13/2017 at 8:58 PM, benth said:

Hi,

What brand/type of laptop does the program give you? Are there options? Is it any good?

Also, do they recommend a specific stethoscope? I was hoping to ask for one for Christmas, but not sure what to get. 

Thank you!

The laptop was chosen for us and there are no options. (we also have an Ipad mini) The laptops are good and are required for exams so everyone uses them (no one comes to class with their personal laptops) .We got a  Dell Latitude 7480 notebook

For stethoscopes, they only requested: "stethoscope with a bell and diaphragm chest piece."  They will give you a list of medical equipment you need to buy but I would hold off on the other ones until closer to matriculation. I bought the rest of my equipment from a graduating student as a package deal for cheap and will probably sell mine to new students when I leave too!

Let me know if you have more questions.

(sorry for the delay, didn't notice your question!)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

When do we get our student email? I was looking at the apartment website they sent us and to use the roommate finder, we have to have our Duke email. How hard was it to find housing, was there a lot of competition? I'm not sure how soon I should start looking for one. 

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On 1/21/2018 at 2:24 PM, l.berry said:

Hello,

When do we get our student email? I was looking at the apartment website they sent us and to use the roommate finder, we have to have our Duke email. How hard was it to find housing, was there a lot of competition? I'm not sure how soon I should start looking for one. 

Thanks!

Hi, I think I got my email around April or May

I would say the best time to start looking for apartments is about 60 days out from your ideal move-in date. That way most complexes will know who is moving out and their availability (since people will have given their notice at that point).

Some people moved in July to get settled in, many upperclassmen told us to move in early if we wanted to explore the area- I found this important to get acclimated and to visit a a few places that I wanted to check out!

Feel free to message me directly if you have specific questions

On 2/9/2018 at 4:44 PM, moleashish said:

Hi everyone. 

I will be joining for the upcoming class. See you guys in Aug. 

Congrats! I'm a current first year student and happy to help answer questions that you may have. You guys will eventually get a LOT of info from the program so stay close to your emails (some tasks have short deadlines for completion).

-El

• 7 months later...
On 1/1/2018 at 11:15 PM, activemath said:

Hello!

Thanks!

Hi! 

Depends on how much of the loans you take out and where you choose to live. If you take out the full amount you should be a able to get by. I used this office of financial aid outline and it's pretty accurate

https://medschool.duke.edu/sites/medschool.duke.edu/files/field/attachments/pabudget_0.pdf

Archived