To bend the truth? or not to bend the truth?

A local university hospital by me posts some positions solely for nurse practitioners and others as PA or NP. Recently, 2 more for NPs were posted and they added these required questions to the end of the application. 

1. *Will you have a current/valid RN license to practice in the state of Ohio with prescriptive authority prior to start?

2. *Do you have a Master's degree in nursing and have graduated from an ANA approved Nurse Practitioner Program?
  3. *Do you have three (3) years of nursing experience?

I've applied to a position through them before with these same questions and answered truthfully saying no because we are obviously PA's not nurses. After submitting I automatically got an email that I was not qualified. I tried to get around this by finding some administrative people in each of the departments and send them an email with my CV and cover letter but did not receive responses. Should I lie and say yes to these questions so I at least have a chance of making it past the HR department?

Unfortunately, I have found no contact information for the HR department anywhere. They are responsible for passing on my application to the departments but I've had a few applications in which I just never moved on, even though I think I am qualified! :\ 

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated!

In that case I would click yes, but then put a disclaimer in the written comments.

However, I try to avoid such places in general.  I was working on getting a lucrative locums contract with a small hospital but my POC was the ED nursing manager who kept trying to get me to "apply" through the HR website (that asked me questions about whether or not I had a high school diploma....same HR website the janitors and cooks use).  I refused, saying I was sure they didn't have physicians apply that way.

Now I may be working there as a locums, through a group, making same amount I was asking for....after the group takes their cut.

I agree with Boats on a couple of points. I generally try to avoid places that advertise positions as if PAs and NPs are interchangable and the same. That is becoming harder and harder to do as the shift from physicians hiring us to administrators hiring us evolves. As a practical matter it is tough to do in a lot of regions.

I also try to find the physician recruiters they are generally responsible for hiring PAs as well. They are also most likely to fix the question problem on the application online.

Yes I would "bend the truth" because the problem lies not with you as an applicant for a position you are qualified to do but rather with their application process. It isn't really a deception. It is a work around for a technical problem.

Archived