I've been hesitant to bring this topic up because it seems like it is not the best thing to do as I read about the multiple programs people have applied to. There are definitely people out there who have applied to one program and got in, and I am hoping this reaches those PAs, pre-PAs in a similar situation or even people part of admissions. 

For some background, I'm 29 y/o and was born and raised in Seattle. My dad passed away my senior year of college, leaving my mom and I. In the Filipino culture, the family has the responsibility of taking care of their elders in the same home. It is normal for parents, grandparents, children and grandchildren (the whole family!) to live together. I have and want that responsibility of taking care of my mom. I don't want her to be alone and isolated if I can help it. 

Here is where the concern lies: I truly do want to be a PA and fortunate to have MEDEX in Seattle, but I'm afraid I may not be representing my desire by applying to only one program. I've applied twice and on the first time I didn't get an interview invite. I actually wasn't ready to apply my first time, but I applied based on a recommendation given by a PA that I shadowed (I ended up submitting it the day before the application cycle ended). Receiving the rejection still stung even though I wasn't really ready to apply in the first place. I am now on my second attempt. I follow the MEDEX forum and people who have turned in their applications around the same time as me have started getting interview invitations for the first round of interviews. I am still in the running and found some reassurance that it's not a linear process, but the thought of not even getting an interview again is leaving a pit in my stomach. 

Does applying to one program impact my chances in any way? (TLDR - Too Long Didn't Read) I realized there are a lot of factors that come into play, and I will definitely keep working on strengthening my application each time, but my mom and my desire to be a PA are my biggest motivators and this single program is the solution. 

Thanks for reading!

I think it's great you have a solid reason for wanting to go to MEDEX. I know of  a couple of PAs who trained there and had nothing but good things to say about the program and the mentoring that goes on there. With that said, the number of applicants to PA programs is expanding every year. I would scour the various PA programs and find a list of at least 5 that you'd attend if you were accepted (and denied at MEDEX). The age old saying about eggs and baskets really does apply to PA school admissions.

I applied only to MEDEX and got in on my 3rd go around. Got rejected the first year, interviewed the last 2 years, then finally got accepted. I actually applied to another school too my second year as a last minute decision. I have several other classmates that only applied to MEDEX as well. The next few months are a long waiting game. Be patient. It's not over til you officially get a rejection letter and with that said, DON'T GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAMS!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Obviously applying to one program impacts your chances in a purely statistical way!  

That said, MEDEX has no way of knowing you've only applied to one program at this point unless you've told them.  If you were to receive an interview then yes, they may ask you and you should honestly tell them you've only applied there.  

Plenty of people have reasons for only applying to one or a few local programs.  Again, it is only likely to impact you statistically (more applications = more chances of interviews and acceptances).  If you aren't what the program is looking for they probably aren't going to favor you JUST because you only applied to them, though.

16 minutes ago, jlynneg said:

I applied only to MEDEX and got in on my 3rd go around. Got rejected the first year, interviewed the last 2 years, then finally got accepted. I actually applied to another school too my second year as a last minute decision. I have several other classmates that only applied to MEDEX as well. The next few months are a long waiting game. Be patient. It's not over til you officially get a rejection letter and with that said, DON'T GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAMS!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing that! And yes, I have to be patient for dreams =D.

12 minutes ago, MT2PA said:

Obviously applying to one program impacts your chances in a purely statistical way!  

That said, MEDEX has no way of knowing you've only applied to one program at this point unless you've told them.  If you were to receive an interview then yes, they may ask you and you should honestly tell them you've only applied there.  

Plenty of people have reasons for only applying to one or a few local programs.  Again, it is only likely to impact you statistically (more applications = more chances of interviews and acceptances).  If you aren't what the program is looking for they probably aren't going to favor you JUST because you only applied to them, though.

You're totally right. Didn't even think about it in that way. I think I have to worry less about applying to one program and more about how to be a competitive applicant in MEDEX eyes. 

Statistically, yes you have less of a chance at getting in to a PA program the less schools you apply to. But it doesn't impact your chances at each individual school. Some people are able/willing to move "anywhere" to be a PA but it doesn't sound like that's your situation and that's ok, it just may take you longer to get in to MEDEX than if you applied broadly. 

That being said it's still really early in the cycle for MEDEX and many other "non-rolling" schools. Plenty of interviews and acceptances left to go around. 

Hopefully this cycle is in your favor. It is late to apply to other schools, so be patient and allow this time to continue building up your application. Next cycle, if this one doesn't work, cast a wider net, and consider taking your mother with you if you are single or able to. It can be a family adventure and you may find having her with you in a new city to be helpful. She may want to stay close with you if you are the only child anyway and may like the idea of having the opportunity to go to some place new. If you have siblings, then I am sure they will keep her company while you go on to pursue your dreams. For now, wait patiently, and if it doesn't pan out then third time is the charm but have backup applications for next cycle. 

As far as getting into MEDEX, they don't know you only applied to their school and its doesn't affect your chances with them. Just make every extra time you have to strengthen your application so you can go there! You can even add new stories into your interview that you may not have had on your application so every moment counts. 

Its interesting that this is brought up, cause I was in a similar situation myself where I was pretty determined to only apply to one school and then I applied to another last minute and gained acceptance right away without even hearing from the other one yet. Life is funny that way. 

14 hours ago, ajames said:

Hopefully this cycle is in your favor. It is late to apply to other schools, so be patient and allow this time to continue building up your application. Next cycle, if this one doesn't work, cast a wider net, and consider taking your mother with you if you are single or able to. It can be a family adventure and you may find having her with you in a new city to be helpful. She may want to stay close with you if you are the only child anyway and may like the idea of having the opportunity to go to some place new. If you have siblings, then I am sure they will keep her company while you go on to pursue your dreams. For now, wait patiently, and if it doesn't pan out then third time is the charm but have backup applications for next cycle. 

As far as getting into MEDEX, they don't know you only applied to their school and its doesn't affect your chances with them. Just make every extra time you have to strengthen your application so you can go there! You can even add new stories into your interview that you may not have had on your application so every moment counts. 

Its interesting that this is brought up, cause I was in a similar situation myself where I was pretty determined to only apply to one school and then I applied to another last minute and gained acceptance right away without even hearing from the other one yet. Life is funny that way. 

Yea, so far I've heard to just be patient. Moving my mom is out the question but I do have siblings (married w/ children though) and it never hurts to ask for their support. 

I thought about applying to other schools last minute but I'm set on MEDEX this year. I will definitely consider backup schools next year, but here's hoping it doesn't come to that ?.

BTW, nice Mercy avatar! 

Archived