Really torn in what to do

Hi everybody. As the title says, I'm confused in what I should do with my life. I graduated with a BS in Biology this past April and right now I am taking missing prerequisite classes at a community college for accelerated BSN (bachelors nursing...12-15months) programs. I figured it was a good plan and I'd eventually get my doctor of nursing practice (NP). I'm kind of reconsidering that plan because of time and some worries I have. I know that NP programs are not as rigorous as PA and that worries me, I want quality, academically-challenging education. I've spent years working hard and struggling to get a mediocre graduate education, I think. I don't know if that's the case for every program out there but it worries me. Another thing is that I'm not super excited to be a nurse for 1-2 years before NP school. 

In terms of PA...I don't have any PCE. I just finished a CNA course and will be taking the exam next month. I have a job interview tomorrow which I really hope I get. My GPA also is not very high overall 3.42 and science is 3.1-3.2. It should be more of a solid 3.2-3.3 after taking the prereqs I'm doing right now for the accelerated BSN (also cover A&P 1-2 which I'd be missing for PA school). If I went the PA route I'd have to retake some C's to increase the GPA and maybe take 1-2 upper levels. I'm worried about going the PA route because of how competitive it is, and how risky it is if I do all this and spend all this time and don't get into a program. I feel a bit more safe with the accelerated nursing although they're still competitive I feel I have a better chance and less requirements. 

The accelerated BSN would be about 20-35k for around 15 months. I'm thinking if I spend this time getting my hours and improving my GPA it would be better? But I'm really unsure and have debated all these things for quite a bit now and really need some help and guidance. I'd enjoy being a PA and an NP the same. 

Here are some of my other stats

3 years volunteering at homeless clinic, leadership position after a year

2 years research assistant, spent 4 months helping at the actual study

1.5 years working as a lab assistant, got a scholarship to do 1 year research project. Ended up presenting project at different universities (which included 3 diff states)

I should add that my goal is to work 3-4 days a week as a provider (whichever that ends up being) after a year or two of starting work. I don't know if that makes a difference, if one profession is more geared toward that flexibility. 

THANK YOU!

You have an excellent and very well thought out plan and are in a win win situation. When you finish your bsn, you'll be very competitive for both PA and NP programs and since you'll be working as a cna you're actively collecting healthcare experience hours all while increasing your GPA. The good news is When you graduate, you'll have higher end direct patient care experience which is what PA schools are lookng for, plus you would have proof of excelling in heavy healthcare load of classes. If you work as an RN you'll be getting paid a lot more so you can save for np\pa school than say someone who is working as an EMT and hasn't gotten in. The world is your oyster and you'll be in such great shape with so many options as an rn bsn

• Administrator

Your most flexible option is going to be to do the BSN, making sure that your coursework fulfills PA school prerequisites (some nursing overview courses do not, e.g. biochem/ochem overview).

Then, work for a few years as a nurse.  You can go to DNP school, or you can go to PA school.  Heck, you can go to CNRA school and make the big bucks if you're good at math under pressure (and a bit more, of course).

There are no shortcuts to the truly good destinations.  RN experience will get you anywhere--heck, it'd be a good way to get into med school, should you decide to go that way later.

Thank you both so much! Really appreciate the advice and encouragement. In regards to the what you said @rev ronin I already have my bachelors in biology so all the PA requirements are met. I've taken a look at CRNA school too, I think that would solve the NP quality education issue since their programs are very challenging and I do love math! My first thought though is that the hours would be rough (which is one of the things I'm trying to avoid) and it seems kind of boring to sit and monitor in a OR. We will see, I agree with you both that the RN is a good idea especially with how short it is. 

I'm really hoping I got the job for CNA today, the interview went really well! It's in a peds clinic and the CNA's get to give injections, do strep exams etc (after training and maybe some other certs of course) so it's be a great opportunity if I get it. 

Thanks!! :) 

Archived