School Ranking

Hey guys, I was just wondering what you thought about a PA school that is un-ranked? I know there are many other factors to consider than just a school's ranking, but I was just offered an interview at Texas Tech and I noticed their program isn't ranked. Which is odd to me considering the program's been around since 1999. Thanks for any responses!

I wouldn't worry too much about the ranking, as it is a largely subjective process through US News and World Report. The important things to consider are PANCE pass rates (are they at least comparable to the national average, or in my opinion at least above 90% 1st time pass rate), attrition rate (does the program fail a lot of students), quality of clinical rotations (does the program have a solid network of clinical rotations set up), faculty (are they experienced professors, and do they still maintain their skills by practicing clinically), location (can you see yourself living there for the next 2.5 years). If the program is accredited and has a solid record in the above areas, then I wouldn't turn them down based on a low ranking or no ranking on US News. 

The criteria above are excellent ways to evaluate a program. Interestingly, the US News and World Report rankings don't take ANY of that information directly into consideration. Check out their ranking methodology...makes the list seem pretty much completely useless. 

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/articles/health-schools-methodology

23 hours ago, fishbum said:

The criteria above are excellent ways to evaluate a program. Interestingly, the US News and World Report rankings don't take ANY of that information directly into consideration. Check out their ranking methodology...makes the list seem pretty much completely useless. 

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/articles/health-schools-methodology

Very interesting read, thanks for that!

Archived