Prerequisites

So I started applying to schools and I honestly applied being hopeful, wishful, and a little naive. 

I've heard mixed reviews about retaking some courses (General chemistry and biology) and people say it's a good idea but then others say take other sciences courses to increase my science GPA. I got C's in them (rough freshman year start) 

My other backup plan was to get a masters in public health to maybe increase my chances of getting in

seriously need some advice! Thanks in advance!

Entrance into a PA program is much more than a GPA. Most programs are very holistic...

That is why you take the GRE

That is why you volunteer.

That is why you get quality HCE

That is why you write an essay as to why you want to be a PA.

That is why you work in the real world a year or two to gain life experience which can't be taught in a classroom.

A couple of grades should not make or break your application. But if you retake them and get an A, it will show a more recent trend of hard work. Good luck!

I got a few Cs freshman year in Chemistry II and Stats, also Orgo I in my sophomore year. I applied last year to 4 schools, all rejections. All of the programs that gave me feedback told me to retake prereqs that I got Cs in. They were more meh about taking additional classes but they all said that it wouldn't hurt.

I retook all three classes, got As, also took medical terminology got an A-, applied to 7 schools this year and I have 1 interview so far. 

From the feedback I've gotten from schools and my personal experience I would recommend retaking prereqs that you got Cs in. I think it will show how dedicated you are to becoming a PA and if you get As (which you should aim for) it will show that you have improved on your study habits. 

It is not uncommon to see applications with a few Cs. I had one or two in organic and nevertheless was accepted by all three of the schools that I applied to.

How? I had prior graduate degrees (non-medical), my overall grades were good, I had taken follow-on courses (like biochem) and gotten As, my GRE score was fine,  I took important courses that weren't required (i.e., patho), and I had nearly 20 years of volunteer and part-time paid EMS experience. I also had spent 7 years thinking about going to PA school and was relaxed and friendly in the interviews. And I had some nice references.

It's your total package you need to think about. Fixing a C somewhere may not be the long pole in your particular tent.

Good luck!

Archived