Advice needed

I'm an ex premed student, and I just switched over to pre-pa this summer (I'm a rising senior in college). Anyway, I have LOTS of shadowing hours, but it's my understanding that schools disregard these in favor for actual clinical experience. I am EMT certified, so I'm planning on taking a gap year in order to work for EMS, and acquire the needed experience. 

However, I'm worried about money. The average salary for EMTs in my area is only about $14 per hour, and I'll need to start making student loan payments during my gap year... And then I'll have to pay for school applications. I'll for sure have a roommate to help cut down on living expenses, but I'm kind of freaking out about it all. 

I'm not even sure if this is the appropriate forum to ask such a question, but I'd really appreciate some advice-- especially from those who have been through this sort of thing. Up until recently I'd just assumed that I'd be in medical school, living off of loans... And now everything is just really uncertain. 

So this is obviously not the best way to handle this situation, but for me and my family (wife and 2 kids) it was best for us. I enrolled in an online masters of science in teaching secondary biology. The program was fairly affordable and allowed me to take some graduate level bio to boost my application while working full time.
I took out 4 grand in loans and paid for some myself. But the whole motivation behind this was that it deferred my loans. Again, taking on more debt to avoid paying loans for awhile sounds crazy but we just would not have been able afford it then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's actually a great idea-- I hadn't thought of that! Does completing a program like that increase your chances of being accepted?

I think that PA programs in general value a well rounded applicant. But you can't escape the fact that it is a profession built on having previous medical experience.

As a CCMA I have gotten incredible hands on experience at an awesome stand alone ER. However, I think this experience helped get me accepted, not my credential. And where I worked we had medical assistants with no previous education, we just trained them on site. This is not the norm though, as most places require a certification.

The MA course through us career institute is pretty easy honestly. I spent more time studying the study guide for the CCMA exam than I did completing the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you call your loan service, (mine was great lakes) they were willing to work with me on making lower, more reasonable, income based payments. So many people default on their student loans they are happy to get anything.  I spent my gap year (read gap 1.5 yrs) working as a paramedic and I didn't start making payments until last month. I made a 250.00 initial payment that took my loan out of default status and they worked with me to make a manageable 64/mo payment.  I only had 6K in loans because I used the GI bill for most of my expenses.  It is important to stay on top of the loans because if you get in you will be required to file for FAFSA and subsidized loans before they will pay out scholarship and other loan money.  EMS is a great way to get your clinical hrs but depending on your location employment and pay can be dodgy.  I had to volunteer for 6 mos to get my foot in the door.  MA's and ED techs can sometimes get hired with a basic cert so look for those job postings too. Good luck.

Or....start working now?  Doesn't even have to be EMT but just get a job!  Start working and saving money.  You certainly wouldn't be the first college student who worked while in school nor will you be the first student who graduates and needs to pay student loans while working a low paying job.  You may need to work 2 jobs.  Or a job and a half.  It can be done, I promise.

15 hours ago, FunkyMedic said:

If you call your loan service, (mine was great lakes) they were willing to work with me on making lower, more reasonable, income based payments. So many people default on their student loans they are happy to get anything.  I spent my gap year (read gap 1.5 yrs) working as a paramedic and I didn't start making payments until last month. I made a 250.00 initial payment that took my loan out of default status and they worked with me to make a manageable 64/mo payment.  I only had 6K in loans because I used the GI bill for most of my expenses.  It is important to stay on top of the loans because if you get in you will be required to file for FAFSA and subsidized loans before they will pay out scholarship and other loan money.  EMS is a great way to get your clinical hrs but depending on your location employment and pay can be dodgy.  I had to volunteer for 6 mos to get my foot in the door.  MA's and ED techs can sometimes get hired with a basic cert so look for those job postings too. Good luck.

Great, I'll for sure look into making income based payments. I really wanted to pay off my undergraduate loans in no more than 5 years, but I think that might be an unreasonable goal. Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely look into MA/ED tech jobs! 

2 hours ago, MT2PA said:

Or....start working now?  Doesn't even have to be EMT but just get a job!  Start working and saving money.  You certainly wouldn't be the first college student who worked while in school nor will you be the first student who graduates and needs to pay student loans while working a low paying job.  You may need to work 2 jobs.  Or a job and a half.  It can be done, I promise.

You're completely right! I actually am currently working two jobs, and have been since my freshman year of school. I'm just frustrated because both pay better than EMS, so I'd be sacrificing a larger income in order to get more clinical experience. But so it goes, I suppose. 

50 minutes ago, fishbum said:

With EMS scheduling being what it is, you could work two or three jobs (it's a time-honored tradition in the profession) and kill two birds with one stone. More money and more HCE. 

Very true! Maybe I could keep my current job as well, and cut back to part time. 

Archived