Military Spouse (Pre-PA)

Hi Everyone!

I am a military spouse currently residing in the DC area and moving to New Orleans this week. I have been accepted to UNO's Post-Bacc program to complete science pre-reqs necessary to apply to LSU's Physician Assistant Program. As a military family, we move every 2-4 years and I am wondering how difficult it can be to gain licenses in multiple states. Also, can you hold licenses in multiple states at one time or must you suspend one state's license before obtaining another. I appreciate all of your feedback.

On 8/8/2017 at 4:16 PM, melissanauss said:

Hi Everyone!

I am a military spouse currently residing in the DC area and moving to New Orleans this week. I have been accepted to UNO's Post-Bacc program to complete science pre-reqs necessary to apply to LSU's Physician Assistant Program. As a military family, we move every 2-4 years and I am wondering how difficult it can be to gain licenses in multiple states. Also, can you hold licenses in multiple states at one time or must you suspend one state's license before obtaining another. I appreciate all of your feedback.

You can have licenses in more than one state. A lot of practice in border areas have offices in 2-3 states. Generally to have an active license you a practice relationship with a physician. If you move and think you might come back you can usually put your license in suspension (lower cost to renew). Otherwise you can suspend/let the license lapse once you get your new license. Also if you work on a military installation or for VA you don't have to be licensed in the state you are in. You simply have to be licensed somewhere in the US. 

Archived