AF Civilian PA Spouse Question

Hi All!

I am a first year PA student currently and my SO is an AF pilot. Does anyone have any experience with how the job search will go for me as a civilian PA? I understand that I can work on base with my state license but are the jobs available? I have heard varying stories about the availability of civilian PA jobs on base. I appreciate any help, thanks!

• 1 year later...

Did you ever find anything out about this? How are you doing? 

Husband is navy, I’m a new grad PA, we’re about to PCS to Mississippi and it seems to me that PA jobs on base aren’t as readily available as everyone likes to think they are. 

I have a family member who is a surgeon on a naval base and he couldn’t even get me a job with his connections. 

Let me know if you need someone to commiserate with! Good luck!

• 9 months later...

Hello, I’m applying to PA school now and my husband is active duty Navy. I know the Navy is usually in larger population centers than the Air Force, but I’m not planning to work on base (and I know a lot of spouses who work in healthcare who don’t). I’d expand my options to local hospitals if I were you. I currently work an hour from base and it’s fine. 

• 8 months later...

Following i'm in the same boat. Have been a PA for 3 years husband. We are at my husband's FDS and I am really struggling finding employment. I have been jerked around by the base where I was sup[posed to get a job and I'm worried about our current situation as well as this occurring in the future.

• 1 year later...

Could someone please update me how it has worked out for them? I am about to start clinical rotations in PA school, and my husband is in the Air Force. I am getting nervous about finding jobs as it is quickly approaching. I don’t even know where to begin. Thanks! 

I’m in a similar boat to the rest of you, currently a first year PA student with a Navy man. I’m planning on finding as many jobs as I can off base but within driving distance. While it would be great to have a job on base, I think it’s important not to limit yourself and to keep your options open.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...