Apply and hope for the best or wait?

Similar situation as I've seen many in.  I have low GPA, but want to get in to PA school at some point in the future.  

My stats are:

Undergraduate degree: B.S. Biology & Psychology

Cumulative GPA: 3.0

Science GPA: 2.7

Healthcare hours: 3,000 as a caregiver & about 10,000 as a caregiver supervisor and manager with primary role of documenting patient health condition and assigning staff.  Also did a lot of hours as medical interpreter while I was supervisor & manager.  (need to calculate exactly how much).

GRE: Have not taken it yet but the 2 programs that I am considering do not require GRE. 

Research experience: 1 year of research in neuroscience lab where I got to do rat surgeries, post-op treatments, dissections, etc.

Shadowing hours: 10 but working on getting more.  Although I got to spend time with PAs while doing medical interpreting.  

I know my stats suck but I was thinking of applying to 2 local programs.  I meet minimum GPA requirements for both.  Would you suggest applying and hoping for the best? It would sure be great to get in but living on a budget does not help when applications are pricy.  Also considering applying to other masters programs (biotechnology, anatomy, etc.) or do EMT classes to boost up GPA. 

Thanks for any feedback.

I applied to 4 schools and got into two. I had a 3.2 gpa. I had a very high upward trend in gpa though. I believe the gpa isnt as important as the quality of work you are showing in your last year or two of classes. I also had tons of volunteering and hand on experience as an EMT. 

This is a side note. I believe God wants me to be a PA. So whatever my stats were, i was going to get in and become a PA. Just sharing a little of my faith if anyone was a believer. Good luck

If your GPA shows an upward trend then apply to schools that focus more on the last 60 credits or last 30 science credits. I came across a couple of those in my search. 

Apply to schools without the 3.0 min sGPA requirement so your application doesn't get screened out immediately.  

Along with that you'll need to take the GRE and score above the 50th percentile and as stated before you'll need to retake couple classes. I will be doing the same to be a better candidate next cycle.

Good Luck! 

Archived