Difficult Situation/Need Advice!

So I'm in this current situation where I was planning on applying for PA School once I studied and took the GRE, but did not realize how low CASPA depicts and translates current cumulative GPAs from each respective institution. After finding that out, I crunched my science GPA and non science GPA using the CASPA numbers (Not 100% sure on how accurate I will be) but it turns out both are very low. 

Science GPA: 3.15 

Non Science GPA:  3.54

where as, my cumulative GPA that I graduated with from my respective institution was a 3.5 GPA. 

I have C's on my transcript from classes that I should've received A's in earlier on from an institution that i transferred from early on prior to the school I ended up graduating from such as...

Introduction to Cell Biology (Biology 1) = C-

Introduction to Psychology = C+

Medical Terminology = C

Algebra II = C

Organic Chemistry II = C

Physics II = C

Exercise Physiology = C

But no grades lower than any of those listed. I plan/planned on retaking to boost my GPA but I've heard it won't affect my GPA substantially enough if i do retake those courses regardless to get accepted into PA school. Also, I did get A's in more complex courses of some of the prerequisites listed, for example: Introduction to Psychology = C but in Abnormal Psychology = A or Algebra II = C but in Applied Calculus = A-...so I'm not sure what i should do next from this stand point. This is all very new/confusing to me and I'm losing a lot of hope regarding my current situation and am asking for advice on the best/smartest possible route to make my dream of becoming a PA possible. 

I also have...

2080 HCE hours (minimum) as an Orthopedic Technician in pediatrics

100+ Shadowing Hours 

3 or 4 LOR (2-3 Orthopedic Surgeons & 1 PA)

Thank you in advanced for any help/suggestions I can get. I appreciate it!!!

I was in your exact shoes a few years ago.  I had sub par grades from my undergrad, applied to several PA schools, and was rejected from all of them.  After working for a few years (and getting personal life stuff in order) I went back to school in a post-bac program.  I worked full time, took night classes, and over about two years I completed over 40 credit hours of classes: Bio, chem, orgo, stats, A&P, etc.  I pulled straight A's and brought my science GPA up 0.6 points and my overall slightly less.  My GPA's were still lower than the ones you listed.  

Long life story short, I ended up being offered 4 interviews, attended 3, and was accepted by all 3.  I consider myself very lucky and am not bragging. The advantage I had was 9 years of work experience to help carry me.

I say this because you should not get down or think you wont get in.  PA schools want to see dedication and working to improve your grades.  We are all human and not all of us know what we want to do when we're 19 and make mistakes.  It's about what you do after that and persistence to get what you want.  My advice is to retake classes (if you want or have the means), keep working and volunteering, and keep applying.  You will get there.

I will reiterate what MarkMass said.

I have a low GPA and this is my second cycle. I was prepared to reapply.  I continued taking a class each semester to raise the GPA, began volunteering at a free clinic, beefed up the LOR's, started a website involving one of my passions.  I wanted to show that I refuse to be stagnate and continued strengthening my stats.

So far I have two interviews this second cycle one of them being one of the best programs in the country. I am still taking a class each semester and continuing to volunteer, just in case I need to apply a 3rd cycle.  Don't sleep and keep strengthening your app.

Definitely retake those courses, especially being pre-reqs with all C's.

<----- 3.2 sGPA   3.22 cGPA

Thank you both for your responses! So with what you both (MarkMass & JD2012) are saying is that I'm not in the worst case scenario even at this point and that retaking classes would be my best option regardless of how minimally it usually impacts the GPA after going through CASPA's system as of now as well as continuously increasing my HCE's and Volunteer Hours correct? Or should I enroll in a Post Bacc Program? I plan on retaking all the courses I listed more than likely besides the Exercise Phys, which isnt listed as a Pre Req anywhere and my assumption is 1 C isn't going to be the death of me on a transcript. Do you suggest not retaking any of the other courses I've listed or to retake all of them? Also will it be an issue to retake these at a Community College? My reasoning for this is I'm currently still working at a hospital full time to keep my HCE hours going and they're the nearest college around me to offer night classes to fit my schedule (not because I'm trying to take the easy way out) would that be an issue? And also, JD2012 what do you mean by "beefed up" LOR's? Since I'm currently 26 and have been out of my undergraduate institution for about a year and a half I doubt I will be able to get any letters from an academic influence that's why I have the ones from the surgeons & the PA's coming. How else could I make that situation any better? Lastly, If there's any other advice out there that you can think of obviously besides also testing high on the GRE, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again! 

I think a post-bacc program would be a safer bet for you with how many you need to retake. Some schools won't mind  you retaking classes at a CC since you have taken the first round at a 4 year, but it depends on the program. Also don't count yourself out on having an academic just because of your age and how long you have been out of school. I'm 27 and got my BA 5 years ago and I have an academic letter from a professor I took multiple classes with. In regards to "beefing" up your application as a whole, more shadowing, more volunteering. International medical volunteering is definitely favorable.

If nothing else, contact programs you are interested in and ask them their recommendations. They will give the best advice. Good luck!

Some schools don't mind CC credits but prefer you take them at a university. They understand the difficulties with work and school timing but they also receive 1-2,000 applications (or more) every cycle so they won't bend for one person.  If you have your heart set on certain programs, maybe reach out to them or setup a meeting and see how they feel about CC courses. I found a post-bac near me that offered evening courses but I still had to tweak my schedule and eventually drop to 36 hours at work. I also took a few classes at a different university for convenience so it doesn't necessarily have to be all at one program. 

The added benefit of retaking classes is new teachers. You can ask one of them for an LOR and it will be current! That's what I did. Also make sure you get a PA or two to write one. 

Don't let us tell you exactly what to take. We would feel guilty if you felt like time and money was wasted. Contact programs. Personally, I only retook pre-reqs and didn't bother with courses like exercise physiology or nutrition. Those, to me, were my next step if I didn't get into a program. 

5 hours ago, Bearcat2310 said:

Thank you both for your responses! So with what you both (MarkMass & JD2012) are saying is that I'm not in the worst case scenario even at this point and that retaking classes would be my best option regardless of how minimally it usually impacts the GPA after going through CASPA's system as of now as well as continuously increasing my HCE's and Volunteer Hours correct? Or should I enroll in a Post Bacc Program? I plan on retaking all the courses I listed more than likely besides the Exercise Phys, which isnt listed as a Pre Req anywhere and my assumption is 1 C isn't going to be the death of me on a transcript. Do you suggest not retaking any of the other courses I've listed or to retake all of them? Also will it be an issue to retake these at a Community College? My reasoning for this is I'm currently still working at a hospital full time to keep my HCE hours going and they're the nearest college around me to offer night classes to fit my schedule (not because I'm trying to take the easy way out) would that be an issue? And also, JD2012 what do you mean by "beefed up" LOR's? Since I'm currently 26 and have been out of my undergraduate institution for about a year and a half I doubt I will be able to get any letters from an academic influence that's why I have the ones from the surgeons & the PA's coming. How else could I make that situation any better? Lastly, If there's any other advice out there that you can think of obviously besides also testing high on the GRE, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again! 

Definitely retake the important ones, for sure the medical terminology for instance. That is health related and that bad boy better be an A same goes with anatomy and physiology or anything medical related.

For my beefed up LOR's those who wrote them the first cycle asked me for a bulleted list of what I have done additionally over the year to strenghten my application such as taking more classes, volunteering, starting a business, etc.. and they made it even more detailed and probably gloated a bit more about me.

If you can volunteer on the weekend maybe every other week, and go to class at the same time.  That is what I have been doing along with a full-time job as a PT Aide so that there is already increasing my HCE hours.

PS- these post-bacc classes I have been taking are at the local CC.

Thanks again for everyone's responses thus far! They're all really starting to clear the air a little bit. So it seems as if the consensus is to retake these courses whether at a CC or not. Or go the Post Bacc route. Boost the GPA, get additional volunteering, shadowing and contact the PA Programs that I'm trying to get into to get their opinion on my current situation. Markmass, you're right, i dont know why that slipped my mind but obviously retaking classes would give me a new professor to connect with and hopefully get a new LOR from the academic side of things considering all I would have is from a professional standpoint. Also if i retake these courses get the "A's" I'm striving for, do you think I'd even be competitive still given that CASPA will just average those courses together? Like you said, JD2012, it might only bring my science GPA up to a 3.20ish range in which most PA programs have matriculation averages in the 3.5 range for both cumulative & science. Lastly, considering I work directly with orthopedic surgeons and PA's every single day...In order to get additional "shadowing" experience from a PA should I go else where to shadow or keep shadowing the same PA's I work with? (I know it sounds like a stupid question). Thanks again for your guys responses, I really appreciate those and anyone else that would be willing to give me any more additional advice on where to also go from here. Thank you so much!

Archived