Record Release

Well, that depends.  Often med record release states a specific office the patient is granting release of records from.  You could put a broad answer like "any treatment facility" and also the forms are often dated and you could put like "valid for 90 days". 

Keep in mind that often a release is not needed when requesting records in order to facilitate treatment.  If you and the other office are both involved in the care of certain conditions, then a release isn't needed. 

• Administrator
20 hours ago, dizzyjon said:

Well, that depends.  Often med record release states a specific office the patient is granting release of records from.  You could put a broad answer like "any treatment facility" and also the forms are often dated and you could put like "valid for 90 days". 

As I understand it, signed releases cannot be valid for more than 90 days.

20 hours ago, dizzyjon said:

Keep in mind that often a release is not needed when requesting records in order to facilitate treatment.  If you and the other office are both involved in the care of certain conditions, then a release isn't needed. 

Yes, theoretically, but nothing compels the releasing organization to release them without that signed release... they CAN.  But there are no consequences if they choose not to, so by and large most/all corporate entities will require a signed release.

3 hours ago, rev ronin said:

As I understand it, signed releases cannot be valid for more than 90 days.

Yes, theoretically, but nothing compels the releasing organization to release them without that signed release... they CAN.  But there are no consequences if they choose not to, so by and large most/all corporate entities will require a signed release.

Run into this all the time both from large corporate entities and small private practice.  Majority do want that signed release.  I just wish they understood that was an unnecessary delay in medical treatment. 

Archived