Miami-Dade Average Stats For Students Who Get Accepted? (Am I Competitive?)

Hey everybody!

I am interested in applying to this program but I'm trying to figure out if I even have a chance in getting in. I can't find anywhere what is the average GPA and HCE/PCE hrs of students who got accepted into this program. Does anyone have this information? 

Here are my stats:
GPA: 3.4

Already have my AA and near completion of my BA in Biology

~1,000 hours (ongoing); 300 hrs shadowing a PA in Pediatrics over a summer, 50 hrs shadowing a PT, 620 hrs as a medical scribe in a Urology Oncology clinic, 15 hrs in Florida Hospital's NICU, 10 hrs in a Domestic Violence clinic, among others I haven't documented yet.

I am still scribing, I just started shadowing a Psychiatrist at a local clinic, and I am training to become a Crisis Text Line volunteer currently so my hours are increasing.

What do you think? Do I have a chance? And does anyone have any information of the average stats for this school? THANKS

Hey everybody!

I am interested in applying to this program but I'm trying to figure out if I even have a chance in getting in. I can't find anywhere what is the average GPA and HCE/PCE hrs of students who got accepted into this program. Does anyone have this information? 

Here are my stats:
GPA: 3.4
Already have my AA and near completion of my BA in Biology

~1,000 hours (ongoing); 300 hrs shadowing a PA in Pediatrics over a summer, 50 hrs shadowing a PT, 620 hrs as a medical scribe in a Urology Oncology clinic, 15 hrs in Florida Hospital's NICU, 10 hrs in a Domestic Violence clinic, among others I haven't documented yet.

I am still scribing, I just started shadowing a Psychiatrist at a local clinic, and I am training to become a Crisis Text Line volunteer currently so my hours are increasing.

What do you think? Do I have a chance? And does anyone have any information of the average stats for this school? THANKS

There is no set answer. It is safe to say the higher the better on every category, meaning GPA, degrees, patient care hours, exam scores, etc.
However, your application only takes you so far. With your qualifications i think you will pass to the 2nd stage and thats when it gets tricky.
You will take an entrance exam and if you do well enough you may pass to the interview.
After all that then everything goes. Most people that have gotten in had great exam scores and overall application points but i know some people have gotten in with horrible qualifications but they knew someone, this is miami after all.
I wish it was more straight forward but is is not.
My overall recommendation apply to MDC but also to all the other SFlo schools because there is no guarantees.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no set answer. It is safe to say the higher the better on every category, meaning GPA, degrees, patient care hours, exam scores, etc.
However, your application only takes you so far. With your qualifications i think you will pass to the 2nd stage and thats when it gets tricky.
You will take an entrance exam and if you do well enough you may pass to the interview.
After all that then everything goes. Most people that have gotten in had great exam scores and overall application points but i know some people have gotten in with horrible qualifications but they knew someone, this is miami after all.
I wish it was more straight forward but is is not.
My overall recommendation apply to MDC but also to all the other SFlo schools because there is no guarantees. 
Hope this helps.

Just hearing that my qualifications might pass me to the 2nd stage gives me all the hope in the world, thank you :) I reviewed the entrance exam questions that might come up on the MDC website and it isn't something I haven't done before so I'm confident that I could do well there. The interview will be the harder part.

I really appreciate your candid response!

No one ever knows the exact formula.  Some people with low stats get rejected by a local program but then get an interview invite at a top school. Go for it.

I was going to apply here but they have been finicky about me taking that intro to healthcare course even though I am BLS/CPR certified and have been working in healthcare for 2 years.

6 hours ago, JD2012 said:

No one ever knows the exact formula.  Some people with low stats get rejected by a local program but then get an interview invite at a top school. Go for it.

I was going to apply here but they have been finicky about me taking that intro to healthcare course even though I am BLS/CPR certified and have been working in healthcare for 2 years.

I see, that's crazy to even think. I won't get my hopes that high up but I'll definitely stop beating around the bush and at least try. What's the worst that can happen right? 
That's odd that they are doing that to you...Is it one of their prereqs?

....Hmm. Like they won't let you take it...? That's REALLY weird...Are they bad with their communication? That's something I'd like to note.

However, from what you've said so far you sound like you have enough experience to be applying to even bigger schools than this one soo...I wouldn't sweat it alll that much but I get how annoying that has to be :/

11 hours ago, ProspectiveHealth said:

....Hmm. Like they won't let you take it...? That's REALLY weird...Are they bad with their communication? That's something I'd like to note.

However, from what you've said so far you sound like you have enough experience to be applying to even bigger schools than this one soo...I wouldn't sweat it alll that much but I get how annoying that has to be :/

They wont let me waive the class.  I tried emailing asking why and no response it is a bit vague.

I forgot to mention if you speak to Sandra Butler you can ask her about being exempt from that pre-req. I forgot to add that.

I have already applied to 13 other schools with 2 interviews so far so it is not a big deal at the moment.

That's interesting...weird. I mean their communication isn't the best. I've tried calling their PA program for some clarifications on some things for 3 days now (all different times) and no one picks up - it just sends me straight to voicemail :/ Not a great way to start lol.

Thank you for the name and congrats to you! Good luck on those interviews JD! :D

Archived