Hello I am new to this forum,

I have been reading several posts here, general topics RE: PA but I did not seem to find the answers I am looking for.

I am an IMG, worked 9 years now as a medical assistant or nurse (doing nurse job) in one of the medical centers in the local community, here in the US. I could not finish my USMLEs as I worked part time too (time and financial constraints) so now  I am considering to get into the PA program.  This questions may seem overly simple but i would really appreciate some guidance.  I have talked to some of the local school's academic adviser in my area but they don't seem to answer the questions that I have.  It is extremely important that I understand what I am getting into.  So any insight is welcome, please.

Foreign grads has to have their transcript evaluated here in the US (example WES-World Education Services) in order to determine the equivalency of their education, here in US.  I am currently waiting on my results.

While waiting for my WES transcript evaluation report, I have to start the enrollment process in the local college or university but I dont know exactly how that goes.  Do I just need to "choose/pick" the prerequisitie courses  I need (for the PA program) or do I need to pick or choose a "specific degree" in order to get enrolled.  I also heard that in order to get financial assistance say from FAFSA, I need to have a degree.  Can I tell them that the degree I am going for is PA?

Basically, I need to know, what course should i apply for in the local school-->in order to get the prerequisite courses covered? Some told me I should just tell them college/university that i am going for an Associate in Science degree or an Associate in Applied Science degree.

Anyone who has knowledeg/insight/opinion, I would really appreciate it!  I want to, hopefully start my prerequisites this coming August 2017.

Thank you very much!

• Upvote 1

Why do you want to be a PA?  Where did you go to medical school?  Please explain why you are not pursuing an internship/residency as an MD.

Hello, I would like to be a PA, because i really want to use my years of experience and knowledge in the medical field, even after all these years.

I went to med school in the Philippines; been so many years since i graduated from med school; back then I didn't know exactly how to transition from being an IMG wanting to be an MD in the USA.  In the medical residency application process, like any other application process, they have factors to consider, if an applicant has those requirements or not; as for me, it is a factor against my credentials to have been graduated from med school that long (i'm 41); and have 2 attempts for one of the steps (usmle)failed; right now, as everyone else, we all have family issues e.g. financial, healthy (my dad is a dialysis patient and have to support their needs); and so, I know that my chances, compared to recent med grads and with great scores/grades, I know my chances are slim, plus that fact that I do not currently have the financial resources to fund the process.  Since I currently work as a medical assistant/nurse I get to see patients and help them and i do wish still, to use my knowledge to help people in the medical field; as I also understand that I do have to really know the difference between the job of an MD versus PA.

The interest and willingness to go through what it takes to get there is still in my aspirations; as I am not too young nor too old, to kind of re-starting my career.  I am hopeful, though not sure of every step of this journey.  I willing, to still learn what I have to.

Thank you.

• Upvote 1

As a philosophy, I have a problem with failed MDs becoming PAs.  When it comes to real people, I can be sympathetic and realize that we all have our problems.  Have you considered Missouri?  Although, I have a problem with their solution, too.  Alternatively, if you are committed to becoming a PA, and willing to abide with that decision, I would think that there are PA programs that would take you.

Whatever happens, I really do wish you well.

• Like 1

As a philosophy, I have a problem with failed MDs becoming PAs.  When it comes to real people, I can be sympathetic and realize that we all have our problems.  Have you considered Missouri?  Although, I have a problem with their solution, too.  Alternatively, if you are committed to becoming a PA, and willing to abide with that decision, I would think that there are PA programs that would take you.

Whatever happens, I really do wish you well.

I understand.  No I have not, but I will look into it (MO). Yes, I would like to commit to this decision; i do appreciate your time for providing your insight on this matter.  Most if not all of my colleagues have given up; but I'd like to consider other options e.g. PA.  

Thank you again :)

Missouri is should be out of the equation. OP doesn't meet requirements.

Have you consider the DO program in NYS for FMG?

PA school is extremely competitive. There won't be any free ticket. Keep that in mind.

Your best bet would be NP an program. You will have to become a nurse first. Given your background, PA training may be better suited than NP program. I'm sure you've heard the medical model (PA training) vs the nursing model ( NP training).

Some reading for you: http://journals.lww.com/jaapa/Fulltext/2017/05000/Research_on_the_PA_profession__The_medical_model.7.aspx

Good luck

Missouri is should be out of the equation. OP doesn't meet requirements.

Have you consider the DO program in NYS for FMG?

PA school is extremely competitive. There won't be any free ticket. Keep that in mind.

Your best bet would be NP an program. You will have to become a nurse first. Given your background, PA training may be better suited than NP program. I'm sure you've heard the medical model (PA training) vs the nursing model ( NP training).

Some reading for you: http://journals.lww.com/jaapa/Fulltext/2017/05000/Research_on_the_PA_profession__The_medical_model.7.aspx

Good luck

Yes, sort of heard about those.  I will surely check this link out; anything that can guide me through I'd really appreciate it.  

Thank you  much!

• 4 years later...

Hello.

I hope you are doing well. I know that  some years already have happend, I wonder how are you doing because I am now in the same boat as you were back in 2017.

Can you provide some insight, maybe I can follow your path. I am lost here. 

Thank you and have a wonderfull day.