Another option for paying off PA student loans...

Not sure if anyone has stumbled across what I've found. Because I've looked at the National Health Care Corp thingy or whatever the acronym is. I'm over 30 so it says i can't do it. Now there's something with the USPHC, that is United States Public Health Corp.

Click on the link for Indian Health Services once you navigate there because if you're willing to relocate and in this case work with American Indian populations you can get $20K paid off per annum on student loans. You need to start off with a 2 year committment, which would knock off $40,000 of your loans and then you can opt to extend for more service continuing to get $20K per year towards loans. Pretty good I think. Again, if you're willing to relocate. They have huge list of potential sites. You still get modest pay as a gov't employee (not as high as civilain pay at first) plus you would get 30 days off per annum just like any other branch of Uniformed Services like military. I believe you can living assistance stipends as well. (i need to double-check). So for those of you that r willing to just take out as much dough as u need to support your families while in PA school. Go for it. And then u can prep you're family for an eye-opening adventure serving underserved populations.

Ive read about this...its the US Public Health Services Commissioned Corps and its one of 7 uniformed services (for those that didnt know there were 7: Army, AF, Corps, Navy, CG, USPHCC,and theres another that I keep forgetting)

http://www.usphs.gov/default.aspx

The benefits are the same as any other branch....although it makes no mention of the GI Bill, student loan repayment or any sign on bonuses......

Commissioned Corps benefits are generous. They include:

• Competitive starting pay that increases with promotions and years of service
  • Health care and dental care at no cost
  • Tax-free housing and meal allowances
  • Thirty days of paid vacation per year—beginning the first year
  • Paid sick leave
  • Paid maternity leave
  • Paid Federal holidays
  • Malpractice insurance coverage
  • A retirement plan with benefits eligibility beginning after 20 years of service
  • Thrift Savings Plan [retirement savings and investment plan similar to a 401(k)]
  • Low-cost life insurance
  • Low-cost health care for your family

Indian Health services is one of the agencies in which they serve and they have loan repayment AND scholarship opportunities http://www.ihs.gov/index.cfm?module=Jobs

here are the other sites and agencies in which they work http://www.usphs.gov/aboutus/agencies.aspx#7

Well I do know the NHSC gives $1300/mo stipends (before tax) if you sign up and get accepted during/right before school. They also offer loan payment where you apply when you graduate. I'm looking into the nhsc in ny. I live at home 15 mins from campus, so that 1300 makes my chops wet. (I forgot to mention the nhsc pays up to 50k in tuition and fees per annum up to 4yrs).

Well I do know the NHSC gives $1300/mo stipends (before tax) if you sign up and get accepted during/right before school. They also offer loan payment where you apply when you graduate. I'm looking into the nhsc in ny. I live at home 15 mins from campus, so that 1300 makes my chops wet. (I forgot to mention the nhsc pays up to 50k in tuition and fees per annum up to 4yrs).

Well you already missed the scholarship deadline for this year. Loan repayment is always an option

@matthew.eby1

I actually grew up w/ my dad in USPHSCC. One thing to note is that many areas that the IHS serves are very remote/lacking in basic services/decent grocery stores/adequate school systems etc. This route can be rather difficult for families. It is however good work and needs good people.

How can i find a more detailed list of places to serve? In Florida specifically

It is important to note that you can work for IHS without being part of the USPHS and vice versa. However, many PAs in the USPHSCC are assigned to IHS. Here is a map of USPHSCC duty stations for health service officers (health service officers include PAs and other healthcare workers like podiatrists): http://www.usphs.gov/multimedia/dutystationmap/HSO/default.aspx

here is a list of IHS sites:

http://www.ihs.gov/index.cfm?module=AreaOffices

Ive read about this...its the US Public Health Services Commissioned Corps and its one of 7 uniformed services (for those that didnt know there were 7: Army, AF, Corps, Navy, CG, USPHCC,and theres another that I keep forgetting)

http://www.usphs.gov/default.aspx

The benefits are the same as any other branch....although it makes no mention of the GI Bill, student loan repayment or any sign on bonuses......

Commissioned Corps benefits are generous. They include:

• Competitive starting pay that increases with promotions and years of service
  • Health care and dental care at no cost
  • Tax-free housing and meal allowances
  • Thirty days of paid vacation per year—beginning the first year
  • Paid sick leave
  • Paid maternity leave
  • Paid Federal holidays
  • Malpractice insurance coverage
  • A retirement plan with benefits eligibility beginning after 20 years of service
  • Thrift Savings Plan [retirement savings and investment plan similar to a 401(k)]
  • Low-cost life insurance
  • Low-cost health care for your family

Indian Health services is one of the agencies in which they serve and they have loan repayment AND scholarship opportunities http://www.ihs.gov/index.cfm?module=Jobs

here are the other sites and agencies in which they work http://www.usphs.gov/aboutus/agencies.aspx#7

NOAA is the last.

@matthew.eby1

I actually grew up w/ my dad in USPHSCC. One thing to note is that many areas that the IHS serves are very remote/lacking in basic services/decent grocery stores/adequate school systems etc. This route can be rather difficult for families. It is however good work and needs good people.

What was and/or is your father's profession, if you don't mind me asking?

In regards to the National Health Scholarship I suppose no one knows exactly what the age thing is about....I certainly dont. Didnt see anything on the site about it....

Can someone please tell me what in the world this age limit idea is?? I seriously have no idea what you are talking about.

In regards to the National Health Scholarship I suppose no one knows exactly what the age thing is about....I certainly dont. Didnt see anything on the site about it....

Okay, that's all I really wanted to know. I'm trying to keep all the facts straight, and I was very confused. Thanks for your reply.

That may be true, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not worth trying for those who really want to work with the underserved anyway.

I would think that working in an underserved area for a few years could make you a better healthcare prover in the long run (in mores than 1).

Hey, I'm glad I wrote this thread because I like the NHSC thing but THOUGHT I read that on their site about there being 30 as cut-off. I was pissed because i'm 31. So you've given me new light. I've been trying to get on the NHSC site all day. Go figure, there's something up with that site, i can't connect to it......I'll write back again.

• 2 weeks later...

If you do the loan repayment program for 2 years, the $50,000 is paid by the NHSC to pay back loans and your salary is paid by your employer (it says on the NHSC website that the loan repayer works out their salary with their employer).

Archived