Another option for paying off PA student loans...

Guest billyrubin
Hey there! I was just wondering if you do the NHSC Loan Repayment program for the 2 year committment do you get a stipend or a salary on top of the $50,000 that you would get knocked off the student loans? Or is it just $50,000? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Absolutely. How could it be a loan repayment program if the only money you were given to repay your loans was your salary? :) You should still make a competitive wage (~$76k/yr) plus an extra $50k for loans....which commits you for two years.

For those thinking about the NHSC loan repayment remember a few things: you HAVE to work in primary care and you HAVE to do a certain amount of your hours in an outpatient clinic setting.

My hospital qualifies for NHSC repayment, but because I work in a specialized peds field and don't do hours in the OP clinic I am SOL :(

For the IHS, is it realistic that you'd get 60-70k on top of the 20k per year towards your loans? Or is the 60-70k too much to expect?

They get paid just like any other uniformed service officer. Look up the pay for an O-2 in the Army, Navy, AF, USMC, or USGC (Their websites usually have it somewhere) and that is what you will get paid until promoted. Unless they start PAs at O-1... but I don't think they do in the Uniformed Health Services, I think they start them at 0-2. You also get to wear Navy uniforms at formal occasions, if that makes any difference to you.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, I know NHSC scholarships provide $ 1300/mo. if you join and get approval / just before school. They also offer payment of the loan, which you use when you graduate. I'm looking nhsc in New York. I live in the house 15 minutes from campus, making 1300 my chops wet. I forgot to mention nhsc pays up to 50k in tuition and fees per year up to 4 years.

Archived