PTA to PA route

I have just signed up for a PTA program and will start taking the prerequisites required in the fall semester (August). But after doing research I still can't figure out how this route works. I thought PTA would be perfect since I could get my service hours out of the way before applying to PA school. Anybody have a step by step plan or any other information that would benefit me? Thanks!

Not to say PTA wouldn't be good experience moving forward with gaining patient care hours, but I think there are better options for you if want to improve your chances of getting into PA school. PTA route is costly and time consuming, but the pay is higher than your standard CNA, MA, phleb, EMT. I would suggest looking into one of those programs. I was a PT tech during undergrad and although it was good experience in regards to patient care, it doesn't really help you with understanding the healthcare system like an MA or EMT would. An MA or EMT gives you the best of best world really, getting to work alongside PA.MDs, NPs, help you understand medicine as a whole, whereas PTAs only do the rehab part of it. Start knocking out the pre reqs for PA school and look into one of those programs, chances are some classes with overlap. Thats just my 2 cents, hopefully that helps!

Don't waste your money on PTA if that isn't what you want to do. My husband got most of his hours as a PT tech, along with clinical hours as an Athletic Training student. The MA or EMT routes are good options. True, PT tech only really sees the rehab side. Doing shadowing and volunteer hours would help as well. 

If you're willing to commit to a two-year program, I would switch from PTA to Radiology. It is also two years, but the experience after graduation is phenomenal. I started out working in a hospital like most techs, and ended up in an orthopedic practice as the only tech performing in office x-rays and fluoroscopy procedures in the OR.

Just another option to think about.

This would also depend on how long you plan on waiting to apply to PA. Between school and working, it took me 6 years to acquire all of this.

Not to say that I am not grateful for everyone's responses but I'm pretty dedicated to becoming a PTA since I have already switched my major to Pre-PTA. So I am more focused on how will I be able to balance taking prereqs for the PTA program with prereqs for PA school. When do you start taking prereqs for PA school... is it possible to wait until junior year to begin taking prereqs? Thanks!

I started taking some Pre-reqs for PA school my first year of undergrad, but I am a bio major, and I plan to graduate with my bachelor's degree in five years total not four, so everyone is different and moves at a different pace. Do any of your Pre-PTA prereqs overlap with Pre-PA prereqs? What time frame are you looking at to get in your prereqs, HCE, some shadowing, and think about applying? You can certainly wait until your third year to start taking prereqs, though if you have not completed any yet it is unlikely you will finish them all in one year while. Though, as I said everyone is different! 

Current PTA here. So the classes that I took that transferred for my BS degree were A&P, microbiology and gen chem and of course your basic courses such as english, psych and math. The only issue you may run into is the dates on those classes expiring depending on when you apply to PA school.I work in SNF rehab and have good exposure to the physiatry (PM&R) PAs but you may still need to shadow to get your hours if needed. If your PTA program is like the one I attended once your in it you may not have time for extra classes since you are in class from approximiate 8:30-5 and maybe longer days during clinicals. I graduate in 2012 with my PT A degree and finished my BS in 2015 if you need an estimate of my timeline.

Archived