Malpractice Insurance

For a little background, I work full time at a tribal facility that provides my malpractice so I do not have any experience getting my own.

I have been approached about working as the "medic" at horse shows on weekends. Basically, I would be checking out people who fall off etc during the show.

I am wondering if you guys think I would need malpractice to do this. I would only work here and there and I assume not make enough ($200/show) to justify a policy.

What do you think?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If you are acting as a provider then you are doing something you could be sued for and horse shows can be high risk. Imagine the 'sometimes someone falls" turned into "someone fell and then the horse stomped on their head" or "someone fell, suffered a spinal injury and now is in a wheelchair for the rest of their lives'.  You would, in my opinion, be foolish to do so without coverage.

If you are acting as a provider then you are doing something you could be sued for and horse shows can be high risk. Imagine the 'sometimes someone falls" turned into "someone fell and then the horse stomped on their head" or "someone fell, suffered a spinal injury and now is in a wheelchair for the rest of their lives'. You would, in my opinion, be foolish to do so without coverage.

I get what you're saying. Things do go terribly wrong. As the medic, in my simplified thinking, I'm going to say go see your doctor Monday or call 911 now!

Ok so I need a policy...

What try of policy do I need and where can I find it?

This is probably going to make it entirely not worth working since all my pay will go straight to paying for this policy

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It depends on the policy. I have a part time 100/300 policy that costs me about $900 annually. I have used an insurance broker near where I live for a long time so that probably won't help you. AAPA has a recommended company they list on their web site. CM&F is the one that pops into my head right offhand and you can go directly to their website if you want. I'm sure lots of folks here have better ideas.

Archived