PA Owned Locum Tenens

Most of my contracts were long term intermittant jobs. I had 2 urgent care centers that used me for years. One used me almost full time for months and then as needed. The other would throw me 10 shifts one month and a few the next. I had an internist that used me off a week at a time when he needed to be off. Because I was a 1 man shop I never took a long term job because then I would be unavailable for my regular customers for too long and I might lose them. Once I had a 6 month job offered and I put a colleague in and took a small amount off the top for the company. I also did 2 permanent placements at 10% of the annual salary just by being the guy someone asked who knew a bunch of PAs.

sas5814....I'm also in East Texas and do locums. Keep me in mind if you hear of anything, I can send a CV. Kinda considered forming my own locums entity, but don't really want to restrict myself to East Texas (and I refuse to work for Trinity Mother Frances which would be a lot of the jobs here) so I'm still dealing with other agencies right now.

• 2 years later...
On 5/6/2017 at 7:06 AM, tristatepac said:

Just to keep you guys updated.  I formed an S Corporation last night, have an appointment with an accountant next week, and I am immersing myself in this idea.  

I have my own malpractice insurance policy already, so would it still be necessary to have my clients provide malpractice insurance as well?  What are your thoughts on this?

How does my own malpractice insurance work on state by state level?  In other words, if I get a Locums job in another state other than where I am incorporated, am I still covered?  

I will call my malpractice carrier Monday to get their take on it, but your experiences would  be great!  I promise not to quote you or take this as legal advice. 

How did Trump's tax overhaul end up affecting your S corporation? 

Also,  did you find out if malpractice insurance covers you in states other than the one in which you're incorporated?