As a current DPT student, would this make me more or less attractive for admission to a PA program?

Title. How do you think this would look to an admissions committee? Would it look like I'm just jumping ship, or would it look admirable/intriguing that I am switching over? Of course it will all come down to how I present myself. (*Disclaimer - this is not not another "PT vs. PA" post - I am well aware they are very different - my interests are changing...)

I am currently a 2nd year DPT student, but I have been interested in PA for over a year now. It just keeps coming back to me. I can't shake it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy PT - it's not like a despise it and must leave at all costs - but it doesn't feel like a perfect fit for me anymore. My interests have changed. And being a 2nd year student now, I feel I have a good enough idea of what being a PT will be like. But the idea of being involved in a patient's care on a more wholistic level (rather than "just rehab") really interests me. The many different specialties interest me. Medicine overall interests me. Working in an ER would be a dream. Surgery is cool as hell. Hours/work-life balance don't matter, I'm ok with three 12's. Additional pay would be fantastic, but not a major reason why I find myself being drawn to PA. 

I am 24 years old. That's young - I have a whole lot of career ahead of me. Now is the time to make a change/get into what I want.

The problem is - I feel like I can't move. I am trapped in my DPT. I can't just up and quit school as I am practically drowning in (deferred) debt. I can't apply to a PA program right away because I would need to take 2 undergrad classes (micro & organic), plus God knows how many experience hours to even be eligible to apply to my local programs, and I don't have the ability to do that during PT school. Checking out other PA schools out of state is an option too, but that's even more debt and more years out of a job. I feel like my only option is to just push through and finish my DPT. So that's my plan as of now, but I'd really rather go into PA. 

Looking further down the road - being a DPT/PA would be pretty marketable to employers, right? After practicing as a PT for a couple/few years. Especially if I went into PM&R, urgent care, or an outpatient clinic. I could use my diagnostic and MSK knowledge from PT combined with my ability to write scripts and order imaging, among other things. I haven't been able to find a whole lot of information out there, or experiences from others who have made the jump from PT to PA. 

Anyway, (somewhat) rant over. Thanks for reading this far. Any advice/comments/concerns/grievances welcome. 

First of all, you could drop out of your PT program, take the missing PA prereqs, get your healthcare experience, and apply to a PA program. It would probably cost you time and a lot of money, but you certainly could do it that way.

Or, you could finish what you're doing and then become a PT. Now you'd be getting experience, making money, and probably sitting in a better place to apply and get in. When you graduate as a PA, you'd then have two sets of skills and probably be in demand as a PA in ortho or a number of other places.

So you could do it either way. If it were me (and it obviously isn't), I'd finish your program, take a breath, use your new job to make money and get healthcare experience (it would certainly count!), and then take the leap if you're still interested.

Having options is a very good thing! Good luck.

Here is my two cents.

I always think there is something to be said for finishing something you started. I think most PA programs would like to see that you finished the DPT so they wouldn't have the worry that you wouldn't complete their PA program.

If it is a three year program you are in (from what I know three years is typical?), you are already halfway done with your DPT program. Things you learn in your current program will most definitely help you as a future PA anyway.

Be aware that some programs put an expiration on their pre-req requirements. The shortest I've seen is 5 years but it totally depends on the program. 

The plus side is that you are still very young! Plenty of time to have many future years to practice as a PA once you finish the DPT and get some work experience from that. You have time on your side.

Good luck!

Yeah, finish.  If you started today, by the time you took those classes and applied you would be done anyway.  Plus this way you are working while applying and waiting to hear back.

It would come in handy at several points in school and afterward, but I wouldn't go overboard.  Most of PA didactic is memorizing diseases and stupid facts about the pharmacology of cancer drugs that you have zero chance of ever seeing again.  Some of your physical exam skills would be on point for sure, maybe documentation, but these are small parts of the over all picture.  

Someone asked about having and using a significant other certification (chiropractor?) but I don't think anyone came up with anything.  You can't refer to yourself, or bill twice, so I think this is why people have some letters after their name but function solely as a PA. 

Another vote for finish.  While you could attempt to spin 'jumping ship' positively I think programs would be hard pressed to consider that an 'admirable' thing.  What if you change your mind again during PA school?  

Finish.  Work.  Make some money.  You'll be more marketable to PA schools with a degree and some experience as opposed to a student who looks like they A: can't commit and B: don't know what they want.

And like south said - you likely won't be able to practice simultaneously as a PA and DPT but sure, if you go into ortho or something as a PA and have a strong handle on how DPT is essential to certain patients then yea, sure, employers might enjoy that.  They won't hire you to do both and I personally wouldn't advise trying to work in both (in different jobs) at the same time just because it might be hard to only have one hat on at a time.  But that's neither here nor there at this point.

Archived