Is specialty training necessary to work in particular area of healthcare?

For instance, if someone with a bachelors degree in biology wanted to become a PA and work in a cardiovascular clinic, would he/she need to attend a pa program that trains students to work exclusively in that area or could he/she just go to a general pa program and choose the area of work after graduation? What about training for other pa specialties? Is it ever necessary to attend additional training after a PA program to be able to work in a specific area of healthcare? Thank you for the answers!

For instance, if someone with a bachelors degree in biology wanted to become a PA and work in a cardiovascular clinic, would he/she need to attend a pa program that trains students to work exclusively in that area or could he/she just go to a general pa program and choose the area of work after graduation? What about training for other pa specialties? Is it ever necessary to attend additional training after a PA program to be able to work in a specific area of healthcare? Thank you for the answers!

You would want to look into the rotations of the school you are attending and make sure they have a cardiology rotation. Depending on the specialty and the job you are looking for, some places might require a "residency" but I am not the person to ask if this is the norm or not.

You would want to look into the rotations of the school you are attending and make sure they have a cardiology rotation. Depending on the specialty and the job you are looking for, some places might require a "residency" but I am not the person to ask if this is the norm or not.

Thank you for the answers! On anesthesiologistassistant.com, it lists only seven anesthesiologist pa programs in the United States. So, if someone graduated from a general physician assistant program with a rotation for anesthisiology then the degree would fulfill the requirements to practice as an anesthesiologiest assistant?

Thank you for the answers! On anesthesiologistassistant.com, it lists only seven anesthesiologist pa programs in the United States. So, if someone graduated from a general physician assistant program with a rotation for anesthisiology then the degree would fulfill the requirements to practice as an anesthesiologiest assistant?

Anesthesia assistant and physician assistant are two separate entities and are not interchangeable, different schools, programs, scope of practice, certifying exam, etc. There is one AA program that admits PA's and it knocks off 2 semesters I think, but in the end you are still an anesthesia assistant, just with the added resume boost of being a PA as well, which you already brought to the table. There are only a handful of states that recognize anesthesia assistants and allow them to practice. If you want to do anesthesia, I would go to nursing school and then nurse anesthetist school. Just easier and more options available.

Anesthesia assistant and physician assistant are two separate entities and are not interchangeable, different schools, programs, scope of practice, certifying exam, etc. There is one AA program that admits PA's and it knocks off 2 semesters I think, but in the end you are still an anesthesia assistant, just with the added resume boost of being a PA as well, which you already brought to the table. There are only a handful of states that recognize anesthesia assistants and allow them to practice. If you want to do anesthesia, I would go to nursing school and then nurse anesthetist school. Just easier and more options available.

It would fulfill the requirements to practice as a PA. Two different professions, although I've heard of PAs holding AA certification. I don't think there are any dual degree programs though. Someone else may know better.

It would fulfill the requirements to practice as a PA. Two different professions, although I've heard of PAs holding AA certification. I don't think there are any dual degree programs though. Someone else may know better.

There's a PA to AA bridge IIRC but I forget which program offers it. I believe it just cuts out part of the didactic requirements that would have been taken in PA school.

/edit - whoops, just saw that aqua already mentioned it.

There's a PA to AA bridge IIRC but I forget which program offers it. I believe it just cuts out part of the didactic requirements that would have been taken in PA school.

/edit - whoops, just saw that aqua already mentioned it.

Archived