Preparation for re-applying

Looking for a little help on what I should do in preparation for a new cycle. This current cycle I've been waitlisted at two programs and was forced to miss a third interview for personal reasons. I still need to hear back from a few schools, I want to be proactive about prepping for another cycle just in case.

I once held EMT certification but let it lapse and never worked as an EMT. Would it be beneficial to take another EMT course that would finish at the end of May to have the certification on my application and update my app as I accrue experience? Also the EMT class is 6.5 units which would help my sGPA. Or should I go for something like a hemodialysis tech which would just be 6 weeks of paid training and then be able to work on the floor? I am currently a scribe in a family practice office and looking for more hands on experience to supplement my application. Any input is much appreciated!

Just a note here: the EMT certification doesn't really mean much if you never had any experience as an EMT. 

Without knowing the other aspects of your application, where you applied, and when you applied, it's hard for us as a community to give solid advice. Feel free to update us so we can better help out!

Hi! I think that you should first reach out to the programs that waitlisted you and either meet with them to review your application or talk over the phone if you don't live close to the program, but meet with them if you can. Then take whatever they say and do it. Whether it's taking another EMT course or continuing to find more experience as a scribe.

This is exactly what I did when I was waitlisted at a school and then even for the a school that I was rejected from, and I was accepted this application cycle to both.

If you reach out to them, become a familiar face, and make positives strides on your application, they will notice.

Hope this helped!

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely do this!

Just a note here: the EMT certification doesn't really mean much if you never had any experience as an EMT. 

Without knowing the other aspects of your application, where you applied, and when you applied, it's hard for us as a community to give solid advice. Feel free to update us so we can better help out!

Sorry I should have added more details. And that was my thinking with regards to the EMT certification, with the dialysis tech certification I would be able to get hours before submitting. 

As for my application this year

sGPA: 3.21

cGPA 3.5  

roughly 1800 hours as a scribe, 150 hours research, 300 or so hours with various volunteer organizations/clubs

Applied to primarily California schools, Caspa submitted mid July

hope that info helps

• Administrator

Problem is likely sGPA, both absolute and relative to cGPA.  However, YOU GOT INTERVIEWS, which means you need to practice your interview skills.  If you got an interview, you could have gotten into that program if you would have given the 'perfect' interview (for that school).  EMT class again, no, not unless you can work as an EMT.  Hemodialysis tech is boring but important work, may give you opportunities to read books possibly including more textbooks.  None of this is going to give you a lot of leg-up before June/July, when you need to finalize/submit next cycle's CASPA.

Problem is likely sGPA, both absolute and relative to cGPA.  However, YOU GOT INTERVIEWS, which means you need to practice your interview skills.  If you got an interview, you could have gotten into that program if you would have given the 'perfect' interview (for that school).  EMT class again, no, not unless you can work as an EMT.  Hemodialysis tech is boring but important work, may give you opportunities to read books possibly including more textbooks.  None of this is going to give you a lot of leg-up before June/July, when you need to finalize/submit next cycle's CASPA.

Thanks for the input Rev, do you think that the EMT course would be worth the certification and sGPA boost? I was a non science major in college, so my science gpa is somewhat changeable along with a couple "other science" courses I took after submission. I am also considering taking an online genetics course to add to that. I am definitely going to contact the schools I interviewed at and see what I could do better in the future. 

You might actually be better off taking more directly medically related science classes--more than the minimum required--than repeating EMT class.  Even if you CAN count it twice, it's at some level a waste of your time.

I appreciate the insight, my initial EMT course was not for credit, but I agree more medically relevant courses would be more appropriate. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
I would like to share my personal statement experience for PA school. I moved to the US 6 years ago and I do not speak English like most applicants do. I had a very hard time preparing my personal statement so I decided to seek help online with PS editing services that are offered. If you are one of those candidates that are looking to purchase PS editing services, please read:

I spent a lot of money with DLA editors thinking they will help me write the best personal statement ever. Little did I know, when we were done and I had friends read it everyone said "are you going for Doctor or PA?". Long story short, yes they know what they are doing, BUT NOT FOR PA SCHOOLS. They are clueless of what PA schools look for.

Next, I Invested more money in mypapersonalstatement.com ... disaster. They found nothing wrong with my PS. Clueless again.

Next, I invested even more money with mypatraining.com to help me with my CASPA application. The gentleman misspelled words. Need I say more?

I did so much research and I just couldn't get the service I wanted.

I had found myparesource.com and told myself I will save them for last because they seem to know what they are doing. Let me tell you. I applied to 2 programs only. I got interview invitations to BOTH. The Personal Statement EDITING services they have is phenomenal and I recommend to ANYONE who is looking for a little help with theirs. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY PERSONAL STATEMENT and they made it happen. They guided me through it.

So if you are looking to spend money, be smart and use myparesource.com and do nottttt waste ANY MONEY on all these websites.

Archived