Locums Tenens - Negative Stigma Associated

I have read a few online sources that in the medical community (especially in the physician community) that there is a negative stigma associated with locums tenens positions. For example, that the only two types of providers who take locums tenens positions are the ones who are close to retiring, or new grads who could not get a job anywhere else. I have also heard that if you take on locums positions early on in your career, it makes you less desirable as a long-term hire later.

What are people's thoughts on this? Is the same negative stigma applied to PA's who accept locums positions?

• 1 year later...

I know what you're talking about and I agree there's that stigma.  For me, I worked locums for the past 2-3 years because I personally hated the private sector.  Locums provide me with the quality of life I was looking for post grad.  I had no problem landing my current job in neurosurg with my locums background.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2018 at 11:15 AM, 6oo6le said:

I worked locums for the past 2-3 years because I personally hated the private sector.  Locums provide me with the quality of life I was looking for post grad.  I had no problem landing my current job in neurosurg with my locums background.  

Can I ask why you ended up leaving locums work to go back to private?

Sed, I loved locums work.  I am going back into the private sector after landing my dream job.  Neurosurg was where I wanted to be after graduation but due to lack of experience, I had to work in Primary Care.  The job presented itself a few months back and I had no shame - so I applied, was offered the job, and am waiting for an AK license now.  When I did locums, I saw many providers that affirms the negative stigma.  You can say I'm one of them - lack of experience.  I worked wherever I could and the totality of my experiences (Primary Care, Urgent Care, ER) was what attracted my employer to offer me the surgery job...

The stigma is out there but, in my experience, it is hit or miss. People often assume you are doing locums for some bad reason (which is true sometimes) and it isn't a fair assumption.

I was my own little one man locums company for a few years and I was spread across disciplines including ER, UC, Family Med, IM and Cardiology. I think I did a pretty decent job and it was certainly a great learning experience. I picked when I worked and when I was off but once in a while there was no work and I had to scramble. Upside/downside.

In working with locums staff I have had the same experience...some good...some not so much. if someone wants to work locums there isn't any real reason it should stop them from finding employment somewhere down the line.

I resumed locum tenens work after "retiring" from the VA, but am not retired from the workforce.  I planned on returning to locums work as I wanted to work part-time.  I still love what I do, but want a different lifestyle, and a transition into full retirement in a few years. 

I can say that the locums PAs and NPs I have met in my travels, both recently and in the past, have been experienced and good at their work.  The agencies are hit and miss - some have it all together, and other you have to chase for everything.  I don't feel I've been stigmatized in a negative way, and look forward to the opportunity to travel.

• 2 weeks later...

Fellow PAs who have done locums work:  I have done locums work for YEARS but have never been asked to sign this type of statement:

"I understand that I must provide proof of all existing professional liability policies since I have been in practice, including tail coverage for any claims-made policies; and that it is my responsibility to pay for tail coverage prior to any services performed for this Company."

I have never worked for any agency that remotely asked for anything like this.  I think I am running the other way, fast.

Anyone encounter something like this?  Thanks for any replies.

15 hours ago, weezianna said:

Fellow PAs who have done locums work:  I have done locums work for YEARS but have never been asked to sign this type of statement:

"I understand that I must provide proof of all existing professional liability policies since I have been in practice, including tail coverage for any claims-made policies; and that it is my responsibility to pay for tail coverage prior to any services performed for this Company."

I have never worked for any agency that remotely asked for anything like this.  I think I am running the other way, fast.

Anyone encounter something like this?  Thanks for any replies.

No, but I would run far far away.  When choosing locums, I expect to be pampered and catered to.  How I see it is they're pimping me out - a high end prostitute who makes loads of money for their agency.  If they don't cater to me, they don't get paid.  It's a symbiotic relationship that puts me in the driver's seat.  Bump that nonsense!

IF you've been doing locums because you can't get another job because of some glaring flaw in your CV or personality, chances are that will be apparent when applying for a long-term job as well. It's easy to spot the people who do locums because that's the best they could get.

I've done quite a bit of locums, by choice, and I have always expected to be treated well as a professional whose work profits the agency; this prompted my question about what seems to e a very bizarre contract.  I'm on a locums job now for a company that is treating me quite well.

Locums can be the desired lifestyle for some.  For me, it's a transition to part time work and eventual retirement.  Not everyone who does locums is a loser in some way.  I have had my share of "real' full time jobs.  

Archived