100% Pay for performance job

I had an interview recently with a practice that was confusing at best and deceptive at worst. First, I have to say that I've never been interviewed for a position that didn't have a salary. So, this interview was strange in that there is no salary. Everyone is paid on collections. Personally, I am not against improving productivity and achieving higher performance. The challenge, as I saw it, was in the details and that was where things became very vague. My mind is trying to figure out how to make a living and avoid not being productive. So I asked whether billing and collections data for every encounter would be available. I was told that everyone gets a one page summary each month. Nobody would show me the report or the data on the report. I asked if I would be required to take Medicare and Medicaid patients. Again, a response that some people treat Medicare and Medicaid. I asked if there were guarantees for full schedule and compensation if not booked or there were cancellations. I was told there is a patient waiting list to get into the practice. There were many other questions that I could not get a complete answer on. Fortunately, I don't have to take a substandard position. I just wonder how someone can offer this kind of employment without discussing details in an open fashion. 

I am curious if other people are working like door to door salesmen; getting paid 100% of your income on revenue percentage. My goal in this kind of arrangement is to become a rabid animal and devour every cent out of the patient. Taking care of the patient is secondary to making a living. I would want to run patients in and out as fast as possible. How do others manage this kind of pay arrangement? It strikes me as undignified but apparently the Physicians are all on board. 

I had an interview recently with a practice that was confusing at best and deceptive at worst. First, I have to say that I've never been interviewed for a position that didn't have a salary. So, this interview was strange in that there is no salary. Everyone is paid on collections. Personally, I am not against improving productivity and achieving higher performance. The challenge, as I saw it, was in the details and that was where things became very vague. My mind is trying to figure out how to make a living and avoid not being productive. So I asked whether billing and collections data for every encounter would be available. I was told that everyone gets a one page summary each month. Nobody would show me the report or the data on the report. I asked if I would be required to take Medicare and Medicaid patients. Again, a response that some people treat Medicare and Medicaid. I asked if there were guarantees for full schedule and compensation if not booked or there were cancellations. I was told there is a patient waiting list to get into the practice. There were many other questions that I could not get a complete answer on. Fortunately, I don't have to take a substandard position. I just wonder how someone can offer this kind of employment without discussing details in an open fashion.

I am curious if other people are working like door to door salesmen; getting paid 100% of your income on revenue percentage. My goal in this kind of arrangement is to become a rabid animal and devour every cent out of the patient. Taking care of the patient is secondary to making a living. I would want to run patients in and out as fast as possible. How do others manage this kind of pay arrangement? It strikes me as undignified but apparently the Physicians are all on board.

Interesting. Wouldn't it take you several months to get your first paycheck? By the time they bill insurances and receive the money. How much goes to you and how much to overhead and how much to the SP? It would also be dependent on quality of patients and their insurance plans and you said patient collection not patient billable...this could make you more money than average down the road but I would want examples of a few other providers during their first six months in practice. Would they make that available to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard the phrase "30% of collections" but they didn't give any details on payback for overhead and whether there is a draw. Don't know if draw has to be repaid against future earnings. I suppose that if I had ownership in a practice and my shares had equal rights as the physician partners, I would be willing to share more uncertainty and risk. However, to work as a mere employee without the numbers on the table sounds questionable. If I were a partner, I would have the numbers and know what everyone is making and why. 

I heard the phrase "30% of collections" but they didn't give any details on payback for overhead and whether there is a draw. Don't know if draw has to be repaid against future earnings. I suppose that if I had ownership in a practice and my shares had equal rights as the physician partners, I would be willing to share more uncertainty and risk. However, to work as a mere employee without the numbers on the table sounds questionable. If I were a partner, I would have the numbers and know what everyone is making and why. 

horrid!!!!!!!!!!! RUN!!!!!!!!!!!

I would consider collections in this case

100% written into contract that you get full unobstructed all access to billing and receipts for the entire practice - need to make sure they are billing everything under you

100% billed under you

6-12 month salary - this is the norm for productivity pay positions - entry period where you can build you case load

After this time frame you should be at 45-50% of collections - anything less is just a profit machine for the practice....

overall might work nice and get a nice paycheck

What about bennies?  Certainly should have a full bennies package

honestly don't shy away from it - but you just need legal protections against getting scammed....

Archived