Chemistry - a weakness

Hey all,

I'm having some issues with chemistry. Conceptually, I get the general idea, but I often get lost on multi-step calculation problems, making mistakes or even forgetting what the problem was about. I'm not terrible at math, but it's hard. I'm also having trouble understanding why a non-research PA or doctor would need to know how to titrate things, calculate wavelengths and electron energies, balance redox reactions and so on. I feel like I might be really happy in the "chemistry for nurses" class instead of full on chemistry for science majors (I understand this is not allowed for PAs).

Do I just need to suck it up and get the best grade I can, or is this possibly an indication that aiming for PA is too much and I should go for respiratory therapy instead? Are chemistry calculations vital to understanding pharmacology and to practicing as a PA? I could use some insight, a pep talk, or something along those lines.

Thanks for any feedback! :)

or is this possibly an indication that aiming for PA is too much and I should go for respiratory therapy instead?

What are you willing to settle for? When you look back in 5 years, will you feel that you've done your best or will you feel that you gave up and settled for something that was not your primary goal?

I've taken the non-science major style classes. I'm going back for the real deal now, but it's baby steps for me.

I can't tell you how relevant a strong chemistry background is for the PA world, but I feel that being comfortable in the sciences will make your life (and PA studies) easier.

I'm horrible at Chemistry. I suck it up. I buy guides on Amazon and I read them in my own time (and prior to taking the classes). I'm determined to get where I want to go... Do you have that determination also?

Get a good tutor! Find someone you relate well to and who can explain things in a way you'll understand. Many of the calculations in Chem I will haunt you in Chem II and the Organic series (esp the lab). I can't say we've done many calculations in PA school to date, but I've had moments where I've been glad I loved Chemistry.

Chemistry was also my weak point. I didn't like general chem and I still feel that quantitative analysis was a ridiculous waste of time. (Seriously, why would I ever need to know how to titrate 17 different ways?!) That said, you still need to pass them. Use your resources: other students in study groups, tutors, online help. Get tested for any possible learning disabilities. Talk to your prof and/or TA.

To me, gen chem and O Chem were two entirely different things. So just because you're struggling now, doesn't mean you'll have trouble with all chem. I really liked O Chem I and II, and did very well in them. It could be that you'll find the same.

I feel like I might be really happy in the "chemistry for nurses" class instead of full on chemistry for science majors (I understand this is not allowed for PAs).

I took an entry level chem for healthcare majors (a quick summer semester course) and got in. It really depends on which program(s) you apply to. I don't believe chem is something you'll often use on a daily basis, but its more of a weeding out process for programs.

O-chem was fun! Puzzles! Chem II, however, was a real beating.

For the most part I think you will need very little in the way of direct chemistry skills, but, like algebra, it is not about the direct skills you learn. It is about learning to think differently. It will train your mind to think in ways you didn't know it could.

For most mortals, including myself, mastery of chemistry only comes with HOURS of practice EVERY day. It is like learning a new language.

To answer your question directly: Not being good at chemistry does not mean you cannot/should not be a PA (I think most people find chem challenging) but not being willing to spend the possibly massive investment of time required to get through and succeed in a course you don't like IS a reason to not become a PA.

I really disliked gen chem and o-chem(and didn't perform that well in them other than Chem 1) but biochem was one of my favorite classes and I ended up with one of the highest grades in the class. It made much more sense to me and the applicability to the real world was clear. Maybe you're like me and have a hard time wanting to grasp concepts that will most likely be useless later on in life. :;;D: I guess my point is that you shouldn't take your struggles with chem and interpret that to mean you aren't cut out for the PA profession. You just need to figure out how to get through it with decent grades. You need to practice, practice, practice if you are struggling with calculations. As taotaox1 said, it's like learning a new language.

I tutor Chemistry, and here's the advice I give to my students: force yourself to practice as much as you can. Chemistry is something that you can follow during lecture, but then you can go home and have no idea how to approach the problems. The best way to get more comfortable knowing how to solve every problem you're presented is to practice every kind of problem you might see (this means working problems at the end of the chapter, even if they aren't assigned; getting a workbook if you need to; or looking online for practice problems). Chemistry isn't easy, that's for sure. But it becomes so much easier the more you do it. Stick in there! Work hard! Strive for a good grade (someone has got to get an A in the class...why not you?).

Personally, I think that doing well in Chemistry for science majors will give you many more options in the future. But know that there are other options, as mentioned above, if it's something you really want to avoid.

Best of luck.

Is chem needed? Not so much....Does a school want to see that you can navigate an intense learning objective with passing results? That is pretty self evident. Life is full of examples where a person has to display an ability to manage a seemingly non related skill in order to be challenged with more difficult tasks. Basic science has been chosen to be the one for being a medical practitioner. Find a way though it.

Gen chem was a struggle for me but I got through it by hard work. I actually found organic easier, it makes more sense to me. Here is a link that helped me a lot. Go through each module as it corresponds to whatever textbook you are using. Each section starts with a basic review of the math skills you need for each topic and builds from there. In addition to this do all the practice problems you can find. It will take hours but it will be worth it if you really want to be a PA. It does get easier after repetition. http://chemreview.net/index.htm

Gen chem was a struggle for me but I got through it by hard work. I actually found organic easier, it makes more sense to me. Here is a link that helped me a lot. Go through each module as it corresponds to whatever textbook you are using. Each section starts with a basic review of the math skills you need for each topic and builds from there. In addition to this do all the practice problems you can find. It will take hours but it will be worth it if you really want to be a PA. It does get easier after repetition. http://chemreview.net/index.htm

Archived