Applying for jobs

Hi everyone.  I apologise if this question has already been posed. I am a student and graduate in December of this year. I have just started applying for jobs in my home state (different from where my school is located). I am mostly applying through indeed and simply hired. Most of the agencies say I need to wait until after I graduate and get my license before I start applying. Is this typically the case? I have heard of students that get jobs even before graduating. I guess my question is, what is the best place to start when applying for a job while still in school?. Any tips will be very appreciated. Thanks. 

I don't believe that is the case.  Theoretically, with two applicants with similar stats, the one with the state license in hand would be preferential.  For all my jobs since PA school, I've obtained my state license while I was applying.  It will also save time so you can start earlier.  However, a place that is interested in you may wait for you to complete the licensing process.

So, no, you don't need to wait. 

I just graduated in April. I started applying in February and received interviews through March and April. I accepted a job in April and started in June. They definitely interview and hire before you officially graduate and are licensed. Licensing took about 3-4 weeks, and if you work in a hospital, the credentialing process will take longer (anywhere from 4-12 weeks possibly). I would still apply and interview now.

I used indeed, AAPA, state PA websites and searched all local hospital job websites and applied directly through the hospital system.

Hope that helps!

• 1 month later...

Archived