Starting 2 new jobs around the same time?

I'm a new grad and just started my first job in outpt IM that I had rotated through clinical year. There's an opening at a nearby hospital for inpatient observation for 8-16 hrs over the weekend. I would really like the extra money and additional experience in a more traditional inpatient setting, but am very good at being ambitious and then getting in over my head. Thoughts? 

• Administrator

I think working one job is probably enough for the first year out of school.  Yes, if you could get more money you could pay down loans faster, but don't underestimate how much time you're going to need outside of your work hours to process and refine your skills and knowledge.  You want to kick butt and take names at one job, not suck at two, right?

Would DEFINITELY not recommend! I did the same thing when I graduated a year ago... The first job did not work out (lack of supervision) and looking back it was the best thing for me. It allowed me to focus on my full time job at the ER. Your first year you may feel totally overwhelmed and come home every night exhausted with your mind racing with worry (it's also fun too so don't worry!). You don't need to have two jobs to get adjusted to and worry about. That is a road to burn out.

I waited until I was at my job around 9 months or so before I picked up a part time job moonlighting in an ER. Once I felt like I had a pretty good idea on how to do my primary job I took a few extra shifts at the ER and it helped me branch out and gave me more experience and money :).

But yeah. Give your first job your undivided attention first. Wouldn't hurt to talk to the other people and let them know you want to be prn starting at X month or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived