Choices in the meantime

First off, I've recently been accepted into PA school!

However, school doesn't start until July. In the meantime, I have some options:

I'm completing my final semester for my degree. I'm taking Immunology (even though it's not required), but I'm wondering if there's any other course-work that would help my early PA studies? (Note: I've already gone through OChem I/II, Biochem I/II, and Medical Terminology)

Second, I was planning on taking a semi-accelerated EMT-Basic course the next semester. I originally planned to take it because it offered me a "Plan B" if I was not accepted into PA school. Since I would complete the class in May and then Matriculate into PA school in July, is it best for me to drop it or is it worth pursuing.

I ask, because it takes a significant amount of time that I could use working a part-time job and preparing for matriculation (Which many students of the program suggest we do).

What are your thoughts/opinions?

Congrats on your acceptance! I actually had that same question, about taking classes that'll make PA school easier, and asked the PA I shadowed yesterday. She told me that as long as your A&P class was fairly recent (last 3-4 years) and you've done all the pre-reqs, you're pretty much set. She did recommend that if during PA school there's a chance to take a medical coding class, you should take it, that it'll make your working life a lot easier. I'm not sure if things have changed since she graduated over 10 years ago, maybe someone else might have other tips.

I'm also starting PA school this summer. Personally, I don't have an opinion as to what you should do, but a PA that I know is working on developing a new program and is considering having the "high GPA, low HCE" students who are accepted take an EMT-B course before matriculation, so he would probably think it's worthwhile depending what your current HCE is like.

• 5 months later...

I would work some to save up some money. Then I would maybe take like an introductory to pharmacology class because I think that would help with pa school. IF you dont do that, maybe do like one or two online tutorials a week like one week learn heart rhytmm strips, ect & then just spend time with your family/friends

Archived