Any words from the wise?

[TABLE=class: tborder, align: center]

[TR]

[TD=class: alt1]Background info: 20 year old undergraduate, graduating with degree in Psychology in May 2012, little to no sciences classes, little HCE.

I have done some shadowing in the PA world and have decided it is something I really want to do within my future. However, I have recently made this decision and do not have the proper pre-requisites to move forward into a Master's PA program.

So I have two options...

1) Apply to a 5-year PA program next fall where I will complete a BS/MS within the time-frame. Con's of this situation are expenses... these schools are not cheap, but they do guarantee going into PA school from the get-go.

2) Seeing as how I am graduating in May I can immediately enroll within a local university (or community college) and complete the pre-requisites within 1-2 years. Pro's: live at home, cheaper tuition. Con's: no guarantee into PA school, need to find a job for HCE.

The main concern I have with option 1 is it could take longer and will cost ALOT of money from what I have researched, however I do find the fact that I will move into the Master's program VERY appealing. The deal with option two is looking at my goals from a more financial standpoint. I will save money living at home, going to a local university, and having a paying HCE job. One question that I do have for some of you is whether or not I should take my pre-req's at a community college? I am not taking the classes their because they are easier (which may not even be the case) but instead I am looking at it from a financial standpoint where I will be saving big bucks, the only problem I have is whether or not the credits will transfer and whether or not an adcom will look down upon my classes compared to a 4-year university applicant.

If my math is correct I could start this summer by taking Gen Chem, then take O-Chem, A&P, and Microbiology the following Fall 2012-Spring 2013 year. I know those are the minimal requirements for a lot of schools, do you think I should take some additional courses? Once I finish those classes I will put my EMT certification to use from Spring-Fall 2013, giving me to accrue some competitive HCE time (1000+ hours).

My goal would to be then apply for and hopefully matriculate into a PA program within the Fall 2014 and be on my way.

One quick question... do you know if PA schools are willing to accept volunteer hours for HCE rather than paid work?

What do ya'll think? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you and have a great day

-Hawk

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: alt2]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

If this helps at all, this was my situation....I had my bachelors degree in criminology/sociology and minor in psych...and a masters in social work. Prior to deciding to go to PA school, the only science classes I had were general biology for non-majors lecture and lab that I had taken in 2000. I had 2 statistic classes and a bunch of psych classes that some schools require. I was able to complete ALL pre reqs required for most schools between Summer 2010 and end of fall 2011. This included: Chem for health sciences (which I took because I thought about applying to Miami Dade's associates degree PA program and that was required) lecture and lab, Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2 lecture and lab, Microbiology lecture and lab, General Chem 1 and 2 lecture and lab, Organic 1 lecture and lab, and genetics (online). Keep in mind, I could have probably done this quicker however, you have to take general chem 1 before you can take general chem 2 before you can take orgo. Because I went this route instead of taking bio 1 and 2, there were certain schools I was not eligible to apply to. I retook my GREs (scores were expired from when I went to grad school in 2004). Heres the important part however.... I had about 9000 hours of direct patient care (I was a clinical social worker for the neurosurgical team and the trauma team). I also had volunteer/shadow hours and some very unique experiences. I personally was able to get all of my science pre reqs complete in 5 semesters (Summer, Fall, Spring, Summer, Fall). I applied to 13 schools, was given interviews to 5 before withdrawing my application from the rest, so far been accepted to 2 school, still interviewing at 3 more schools. If you bust your a$$, you could graduate in May and take the pre reqs and possibly apply in the 2013 cycle if you are focused and dedicated. If you dont want to rush it, take your time and do as many things as you can to add to your application to help you stand out. The way I did it, if I needed the hours, I would have had plenty of time when taking chem 2 and orgo to get more patient care hours or shadow.....and if you start now, you'll have even more. It can be done if you are determined....

Wow. Congrats on your acceptances!

My main issue here is that I could complete Gen. Chem this summer and then be enrolled during the fall within A&P, Microbio, and O-chem when the interviewing for the fall 2013 cycle. Now I don't know how many PA programs would look at me (someone who is not even half way through his pre-req's) and react. Not to mention the main place that I lack on my application is HCE. I would be struggling just to meet the minimums let alone have 9000 hours. I feel that if I were to take until the fall 2014 cycle that I should be well qualified enough to get into a program.

Also, I have taken a 5-week psychology summer course before and thought it was a breeze. However, Gen Chem probably won't be as nice, not to mention it will be one year crammed into 9 weeks of intense studying. I don't know if there would be enough room for me to gain HCE or even double up with another class. I see that you did it all within 1.5 years (approx.) though... must have been quite the ride! Did you continue working while taking classes?

I feel as though I am determined and I know that this is what I ultimately want... I just would rather take an extra year to do things right (i.e. higher gpa, more HCE hours) and get accepted my first round of applications, hopefully.

Thanks.

Dont forget if you started this summer (2012) you would have summer, fall, spring, summer (apply either during summer or at end of summer/fall). I guess we are kinda saying the same thing. You would apply in the April 2013-March 2014 cycle for a 2014 matriculation but keep in mind most schools start in Mayish so it would be May 2014. You will need at least a year and a half to do it and alot of schools are going to start requiring biochem as a requirement for the 2014 classes.....

I did not work over the last year, however, I def. could have...I had too much free time on my hands.....I had some personal things going on in my life so decided to just take the time for myself and my studies....but if I needed to work or gain HCE I could have.....

Okay I get what you're saying. The two programs I have looked into most have an application deadline of September & November and their program actually begins May & June. So if I were to complete Gen Chem this summer (and maybe one more class if you think that's possible) and then take O-Chem, Micro, A&P, and possibly Biochem during Fall 2012-Spring 2013 I could then put in my application dring the fall and hopefully start May-June 2014. That's what I intend to do, I just have the fear that I won't have enough time to squeeze in my HCE and that if I overload on HCE I could end up dropping my GPA.

Most schools consider volunteer work separate from paid experience. The latter is preferred. I suggest you check out the CASPA website and read the FAQ there - it may give you some starting information on what will be required of you when you do decide to apply.

As to your original question, I suggest option 2. While I understand the appeal of guaranteed acceptance into a PA program, nothing replaces experience in the real working healthcare world as preparation for school and practice. There is also no sense in getting another bachelor degree when the one you'll have in May is perfectly good. Given that you have no healthcare experience or pre-requisite science classes, I really encourage you to accept that you have some years of work ahead of you before you start PA school. Take your time. Make yourself strong. There isn't a rush, although I know it can feel like there is sometimes. You may need to tack another year onto your plan - CASPA cycles typically open in April/May each year, if I remember correctly. At that point in 2013 you will just be finishing your classes, and won't have accumulated any work time to put in CASPA. Even if you say you're planning on getting some before you start, it won't look good to have nothing. If you're dead set on applying for 2014 matriculation, you could stretch out your pre-reqs a little longer and work part-time, so that when you submit your CASPA you might have an outstanding pre-req but will have had time to work a little.

Just some thoughts. It's good to be thinking long-term like this, but make sure you keep some flexibility!

Yeah, the more I think about it the better it might be to hold off one more year. In all reality I am way young considered too many applicants. Patience is a virtue and I believe it could really help me build some strong characteristics through gaining more clinical experience that may make me a stronger applicant.

The reason I ask about volunteering is that I have been offered a few positions as a volunteer firefighter. I realize that I would be working in a first-response situation rather than a EMT and I'm not necessarily working within a "healthcare setting".

So basically that is a yes? I would call the programs I am interested in but it is a weekend and many offices are closed. After researching around a bit on the forum I am still a little confused whether or not taking pre-req's at a CC is a good decision or not. I've read both sides. Financially, another year at a 4-year seems foolish when I will already have a degree from a university. Thanks.

I'm not sure I've heard from anyone who's said the reason they didn't get in was because they took classes at community college. Some people feel like it matters, but when push comes to shove and your application is in that stack with the others... I don't think Ivy makes paper float to the top. It's about your work ethic. If you're prepared for school and are a good candidate, you will get in whether you took your classes at cc or not. Make yourself a good candidate.

• Administrator
Oh god. Let the man go to PA school! So sick of hearing "if you're young and wanna do medicine you must do MD". Come on. PA is just as respectable of a profession and there is more to life than a title!!!

Just as respectable, huh? Please clarify what you meant. Did you mean that people don't ever confuse us with physicians or medical assistants? That we have the same social standing as physicians? The same treatment by regulators? Insurance companies? Hospitals? Or maybe you meant the same pay?

This profession is full of dedicated, smart, hard-working people... but I wouldn't confuse that with respect in the eyes of the rest of the world.

The job is just as honorable in what "we" (I'm pre-PA, PA-S in the summer) do. We cause just as much good as MDs. I believe some people are driven to MD because they think the title and salary will somehow validate something in their lives - NOT true for everyone, just some people. Yes you are correct that insurance, some people in health care, etc may not show as much respect, but what we need is more good people entering the profession earning respect, not pushing them aside to MD.

Anyways, the whole thing is just a pet peeve of mine, because I've heard it for every damn reason

"But you won't make a much money (once you have a family) as a PA..."

"But because of your age you should go MD..."

"But because of your GPA you should go MD..."

"But because you have no kids you should go MD..."

I'm just saying, why dis-encourage people to enter the profession? Would you tell a teacher "you're young you should become a professor" or a marketing major should become MBA, or a sketch artist should become a graphic designer?? Not trying to pick an argument, just trying to advocate for people who know what they want but are being persuaded that PA is somehow not good enough and they should do "better".

I have contemplated going the MD route (as many have also done) but after shadowing both PA's and MD's I feel like the PA route is the right one for me... I don't really know what more reasoning I need to have other than that. If someone tells me that I should become an MD maybe I should tell them to become an astronaut. Lol. Sure I am young, have a strong GPA, no kids, and would make more money as an MD but I just find the PA world more appealing.

And about the CC pre-req's. One thing I really like about the CC over the 4-year institution is that the student:faculty ratio is smaller. Building relationships with my professors and getting the one on one time making sure I fully understand a topic is very important to me. Saving money through cheaper tuition is just a kicker.

Thanks.

The job is just as honorable in what "we" (I'm pre-PA, PA-S in the summer) do. We cause just as much good as MDs. I believe some people are driven to MD because they think the title and salary will somehow validate something in their lives - NOT true for everyone, just some people. Yes you are correct that insurance, some people in health care, etc may not show as much respect, but what we need is more good people entering the profession earning respect, not pushing them aside to MD.Anyways, the whole thing is just a pet peeve of mine, because I've heard it for every damn reason"But you won't make a much money (once you have a family) as a PA...""But because of your age you should go MD...""But because of your GPA you should go MD...""But because you have no kids you should go MD..."I'm just saying, why dis-encourage people to enter the profession? Would you tell a teacher "you're young you should become a professor" or a marketing major should become MBA, or a sketch artist should become a graphic designer?? Not trying to pick an argument, just trying to advocate for people who know what they want but are being persuaded that PA is somehow not good enough and they should do "better".
Some of us really encourage people to head to med school because they will receive a much deeper level of education. I am not disparaging pa's but you gotta admit that med school is much more in depth.

Some of us really encourage people to head to med school because they will receive a much deeper level of education. I am not disparaging pa's but you gotta admit that med school is much more in depth.

I agree. Never been to med school, but my classmates and I discuss this topic often. We're being trained to educate, prevent, recognize/diagnose, and treat. I had to get past my desire to know absolutely how all of these things happen to people, because there just isn't enough time. If I can learn who, what, when, where, and why... with enough how thrown in to make sense, that may have to be enough.

winterallsummer, I don't think anyone has said the OP shouldn't do PA. It was a sound suggestion for him to have a reason for not doing medical school. A lot of places ask that question in interviews for a variety of reasons, and because he's younger it may be asked more often. Schools want to make sure they're graduating physician assistants, not advanced pre-meds.

Archived