Politically I'm not a huge fan of unions because I believe they have overstepped their power, but as a previous teacher and a hospital employee that required me to join a union I can say that it didn't ever affect me on a daily basis.  BUT, if you have certain religious and/or political beliefs it may preclude you to abstain from joining the union.  For this reason, among others, I felt it necessary for me to leave the teacher's union.

But, the bottom line is you need to read what the union agreement provides and the limitations it then places on you.  Hard to give any advice further than that, other than to say be careful if you think about not joining the union.  Some union members take that as a major affront and it could greatly affect your career moving forward.

Depends on the union, some have overstepped their power like mrgriffiths said, but a lot are just trying to do right by the employees. Historically unions have played a major role for employees such as increasing wages, limiting working hours, better benefits, safer work environments, etc. I'd suggest to talking to other PAs who work there and see what they say. 

Archived