Cardiology Offer New Grad - Please Dissect!!

Any and all advice much appreciated!! Thank you for your time :)

Seems like a wonderfully supportive cardiology group that is relatively large (currently 35+ providers). I love cardiology and am excited about this practice and the way they support their APPs.  They have trained new grads before and most APPs stay at least 6-10 years after hire. 

Cardiology offer for new grad 

• 3 year contract
  • 85k base
  • sign on bonus 
  • relocation assistance
  • 5k for student loans yearly
  • bonus - no info on how this is calculated or what % of APPs attain this
  • 3k CME
  • 24 days PTO
  • licenses and DEA reimbursed separately from CME
  • malpractice + tail

Supposedly there is a raise written into the contract for years 2 and 3 but I am waiting for more info on this. 

Please share any and all thoughts! Thank you!

Maybe see if you can negotiate the length of contract down. The raises they tell you about mean nothing if not in writing, so I wouldn't do anything until they specify what the raises are.

Long story short is you are going to be a lot more valuable in a year, especially two, and with such a long contract and undetermined raises you may find yourself earning well under what you could be with a shorter contract and some leverage.

Thank you all for your thoughts!! So turns out raises are not included. But I decided I'm happy with the overall compensation. Most important to me is that the culture of the place is good and I think I'll learn a lot and be very supported while I get my feet under me as a new grad. 

Thanks UGoLong - yes, there is a regional noncompete. Not ideal but I'm okay with it.

I decided to take the position!

Have a great day, everyone! 

Maybe see if you can negotiate the length of contract down. The raises they tell you about mean nothing if not in writing, so I wouldn't do anything until they specify what the raises are.

Long story short is you are going to be a lot more valuable in a year, especially two, and with such a long contract and undetermined raises you may find yourself earning well under what you could be with a shorter contract and some leverage.

Benefits sounds good.  Need to know how much of a raise you would get.

What happens if you break the contract/leave?

Watch for a non-compete clause. If you leave the cardiology practice and want to stay in cardiology, can you do that without having to move? Some contracts forbid you from working in your field within some distance of your old practice.

Archived