OU-OKC 2016-2017 Cycle

I had an interview this week. I'm pretty sure it didn't go so hot. I was done in about 10-15 minutes, and everyone else's seemed to be going much longer. It was my first interview ever, and just getting the experience was worth it. Too bad I had to drive 11 hours to be there for just a few minutes! Good luck to everyone tomorrow. If anyone has any questions feel free to message me!

Who did you interview with?

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had an interview this week. I'm pretty sure it didn't go so hot. I was done in about 10-15 minutes, and everyone else's seemed to be going much longer. It was my first interview ever, and just getting the experience was worth it. Too bad I had to drive 11 hours to be there for just a few minutes! Good luck to everyone tomorrow. If anyone has any questions feel free to message me!

I had a very similar experience when I interviewed. Things started off really well but then they asked a question that I seemingly gave an unfavorable answer to and the questions kinda stopped. The real nail in the coffin was towards the end of the interview when my interviewee started talking to me about how not getting in this year wasn't the end of the world. I was told that if I didn't get in, it wasn't because I wasn't qualified, it was because there were too many applicants with so few seats to fill. It lasted approximately 10-15 minutes and I was the second one done with my interview in my group. Needless to say, I was a bit puzzled.

That was me last year. I was flustered and tongue tied and just couldn't get my thoughts in order. I pretty much knew when I walked out that door I wasn't making it that year. My interviewer didn't go so far to tell me about not getting in though. I found acknowledging the nervousness really helped focus on doing the interview this year.

And your interviewer was right, it won't be the end of the world if you aren't accepted this year. Take time to sharpen your skills. When you come back next year, you'll be ready because you know what to expect. Either way good luck and we're all on even ground right now, so don't discount yourself yet!

I had a very similar experience when I interviewed. Things started off really well but then they asked a question that I seemingly gave an unfavorable answer to and the questions kinda stopped. The real nail in the coffin was towards the end of the interview when my interviewee started talking to me about how not getting in this year wasn't the end of the world. I was told that if I didn't get in, it wasn't because I wasn't qualified, it was because there were too many applicants with so few seats to fill. It lasted approximately 10-15 minutes and I was the second one done with my interview in my group. Needless to say, I was a bit puzzled.

My interview lasted about 40 minutes and I thought it went really well. The last question they asked me was about my plans if I were not accepted this year. I'm already working on improving myself so they seemed really impressed with my answer. I also thought the interview went well until they asked that question. The next month will be long! Good luck to everyone.

They also asked me what I would do if I didn't get in this year, I think that this is a pretty routine question they ask to see how committed we are to becoming a PA and if we would apply again! 

So here is what was said during the interviews from Dr. Doran (director of the PA program): They interviewed about 280 students this year for 55 spots. First-time applicants have a 13% chance of getting in, second + have about a 40% chance. And this is the same about nationwide. I was talking to a first year student and she said if were are in the top 5-10 waitlist, we would be guaranteed a spot in the Class of 2020. Not sure if that was common knowledge. But everyone was super nice. I feel like my interview went superb. It seemed like I was only in there for a few minutes, but I was the last one in my group to return. Last year my interviewer only had one person be accepted into the program. 

For those of you who feel like you did less than excellent, take this experience and expand on it. Go to mock interviews, rack up some volunteer hours in the community, start a new hobby. I feel like adding depth to your personality is crucial, they want to see you for who you truly are. You wouldn't have been invited to interview if they didn't feel you could make it in their program. You don't have to relate to just medical stuff. Get to know your interviewer and connect that way. And a final tip: get their business card and send a thank you card; my interviewer was excited I asked for hers because she never gets to hand them out.

Hey everyone, I just finish my interview a couple of hours ago, I felt I did pretty well (you never know). I received positive feedback so that's a little hopeful. My interview lasted about 45 minutes. It was extremely laid back. This was my first interview and I enjoyed the experience. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

It's nice to see so many felt good about their interviews! Even though they are so laid back, it can be nerve racking for sure! And I agree, even if you didn't feel great, you never know and at least you got the experience!

I interviewed last year with Bruna- it only lasted about 15 mins and I didn't feel horrible about it, but also didn't feel great about it. I just felt like they were going through the motions and weren't really that interested. I also felt like I over prepared and may have sounded like a robot, ha! I ended up being waitlisted.

I interviewed yesterday with Joey and felt so much better about the whole process! I took a completely different approach and didn't prepare one bit for the interview itself. I just went in there and answered everything on the spot and honestly. It lasted about 40 mins.

Now we just have the long wait to hear something back. Good luck to all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's nice to see so many felt good about their interviews! Even though they are so laid back, it can be nerve racking for sure! And I agree, even if you didn't feel great, you never know and at least you got the experience!

I interviewed last year with Bruna- it only lasted about 15 mins and I didn't feel horrible about it, but also didn't feel great about it. I just felt like they were going through the motions and weren't really that interested. I also felt like I over prepared and may have sounded like a robot, ha! I ended up being waitlisted.

I interviewed yesterday with Joey and felt so much better about the whole process! I took a completely different approach and didn't prepare one bit for the interview itself. I just went in there and answered everything on the spot and honestly. It lasted about 40 mins.

Now we just have the long wait to hear something back. Good luck to all!

I totally love your approach[emoji1362]

Sounds like most everyone feels like they did pretty well. I think I was one of the first ones done in my group and was finished probably in 30 minutes or less, so I am not sure if I can judge how well it went based on the duration of the interview. I did get some positive feed back from my interviewer, but as the day went on I questioned a lot of what I said. I too fumbled on some words, and was unsure how to adress certain questions. In my case I think preparing probobly hurt me more than it helped. I understand how important  volunteer experience is. Not making any excuses but for a guy who goes to school full time, works full time, and has kids its hard to find time to volunteer. After I gave an honest answer about not having a lot of time to to do, I felt like I gave the impression that it wasn't important to me. It is important to me I just literally don't have the time. I raised my hand to serve 6 years in the Army so I am hoping that can counter balance my "currently to busy to volunteer" comment, why did I say that. Anyway, looking forward to January 9 or when ever they will let us all know. Its all in the Lords hands

I had Sara. And you're right. Its all in the Lords hands. No one was really posting about hows theres went, and seeing that I'm not alone makes me feel a ton better! It just sucked because I prepared really hard, and I'm in the middle of finals and graduate with my masters next week. All I could think about was that I had a 50% of my grade left and the two days after my interview I was going to take 2 tests that made up the rest of that grade! But I ended up doing well!

I know they mentioned that the first people to get a decision are people who are not accepted. They said we would get a letter by mail but does anyone know how soon that will happen?

I thought the people who were accepted and rejected knew the same day. Phone calls for those who were accepted and emails for those rejected. Maybe I misunderstood, but the date was January 9.

I thought the people who were accepted and rejected knew the same day. Phone calls for those who were accepted and emails for those rejected. Maybe I misunderstood, but the date was January 9.

I have a similar understanding. They meet on the 9th and we'll know by the end of the week. They will not mail out actual letters. The letters will be uploaded online. Then yes, those accepted get phone calls. Not sure if they'll try to make all calls before posting letters or not.

I thought the reject know first, then the wait listed, then those accepted. you'll find out if you didnt get in early on. i interview Dec 8th.

Honestly, I'm happy to get to this point. If you've gotten an interview, you've done something right. Rejection is not the end of the world. Enjoy the process and learn from it is my motto.

I love your positive outlook. I agree, an interview means you most certainly qualify for ANY PA program. Rejection is not a No, it's a Not Yet. :)

YESSSSSSS YOU BOTH ARE RIGHT.. I truly enjoyed the experience maybe not all the anxiety [emoji848]but the overall experience was amazing. It's a long road for all of us choosing this path. I personally glad that the experience was positive to me even if I have to check the email/mail everyday for a decision. [emoji4]

• 3 weeks later...

Archived