Help! Need advice on picking between two schools

Hi! So I got accepted into two programs. One is in my home state, a newer school and I already paid the deposit... Then I found out they were put on probation. The probation is basically for software issues with logging clinical hours and comparing students. Which they fixed. The second school I just found out today I was offered a seat and I have to let them know about tomorrow :/ here is a list of details for each program.

School 1 (probation school):

-98 percent first time pass rate, 100 percent 2nd time

-in downtown Columbus, so rotations at OSU medical center and Nationwide Children's two of the best hospitals in the country

-near family/ my significant other

-has a cadaver lab and simulators

-faculty is awesome, so welcoming

-$10000 cheaper than the other school

School 2 (school in Tennessee)

-accreditation continued status

-this is where I ultimately want to live after school for sure

-has simulators but no cadaver lab

-no family/ friends near by

-94 percent PANCE pass rate over the past four years

-the hospitals aren't as exceptional as the ones here

Basically I love everything about the first school except their accreditation status and I can't tell how important this is if they are having such good PANCE results and have excellent clinical sites. The second I loved the location and want to move there at some point, but would be okay doing this after school. Just don't know how hard it would be to get a job if the other school was on probation. Clearly, the accreditation statuses are throwing me for a loop on my decision.

• Administrator

Remember, if you matriculate while a school is on probation, you are allowed to sit for the PANCE.  So, it's more of a reputational risk ("my school doesn't exist anymore") rather than an I-might-have-to-start-over risk, assuming a worst case scenario.

Remember, if you matriculate while a school is on probation, you are allowed to sit for the PANCE.  So, it's more of a reputational risk ("my school doesn't exist anymore") rather than an I-might-have-to-start-over risk, assuming a worst case scenario.

And if the school has already fixed the issue (and been up front about it anyway) sounds like a non-issue as far as choosing schools is concerned.  Sounds like the are only on probation at this point because they are waiting to be reassessed and should have no problem getting full accreditation status.

Remember, if you matriculate while a school is on probation, you are allowed to sit for the PANCE. So, it's more of a reputational risk ("my school doesn't exist anymore") rather than an I-might-have-to-start-over risk, assuming a worst case scenario.

Are you still able to sit for state boards if they lose their accreditation? And how hard do you think the job search would be if they did lose their accreditation?

• Administrator

Are you still able to sit for state boards if they lose their accreditation? And how hard do you think the job search would be if they did lose their accreditation?

It would depend on the state, but I know of none in which it would be a problem.

I doubt the job search would be particularly harder, as WHICH program a PA attended rarely comes up.

I really don't think where you go to school matters, reputation-wise. I think the folks that paid top-dollar to go to Yale (or whatever) might disagree with me, but some people are status-obsessed when it comes to these things. Employers mostly just care that you went somewhere and subsequently passed PANCE.

So what's up with your SO? You don't say if he or she will be joining you in TN if you matriculate there, or how serious you are about the relationship in the first place. If you're serious, but they must stay in OH, then I would stay too, if only because dealing with a long-distance relationship would've stressed me out way too much on top of everything else. I had classmates that felt the opposite way, and were glad to be away from their spouses and/or kids, because they felt it allowed them to focus on their studies more. I don't get it, but different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I really don't think where you go to school matters, reputation-wise. I think the folks that paid top-dollar to go to Yale (or whatever) might disagree with me, but some people are status-obsessed when it comes to these things. Employers mostly just care that you went somewhere and subsequently passed PANCE.

So what's up with your SO? You don't say if he or she will be joining you in TN if you matriculate there, or how serious you are about the relationship in the first place. If you're serious, but they must stay in OH, then I would stay too, if only because dealing with a long-distance relationship would've stressed me out way too much on top of everything else. I had classmates that felt the opposite way, and were glad to be away from their spouses and/or kids, because they felt it allowed them to focus on their studies more. I don't get it, but different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I chose the first school simply because the hospitals, good PANCE pass rates and cadaver lab. But my boyfriend and I are a little serious. We have been dating two years, but we are both young (I am 21 and he is 22) and he will be starting pharmacy school in the fall about an hour and a half away from the first school. We want to make it work, but realistically we are just trying to get our foot in the door with our careers as well. So I didn't want to make it a deciding factor to stay or not, if it was meant to be it will work.

Good hospitals aren't everything.  When you rotate at better hospitals with a good reputation, you often have to compete with medical students, residents, and other PA students for learning opportunities.  I just finished an excellent rotation at a Level 3 trauma center.  I was the the only student, and there was a resident on half the time I was there.  I saw hundreds of patients in just four weeks, and the providers hunted me down whenever there was an interesting case or a procedure to learn.

When the probational issue is related to something other than academics and has been fixed, it won't likely be an issue.  Keep in mind, the school wants to be off probation status even more than you want it to.  You will still be able to take your boards even if it is on probation if when you entered the school it was accredited.  If you prefer the first school, go with it.  

Archived