loss of privilege

Looking for some guidance re: possibility of loss of PA privilege.

Quick background, I've posted in this forum several times primarily about Emergency Medicine and my residency experience (my primary field and full time job). For years I have worked part time as an Addiction Medicine PA (special interest of mine and extra $), primarily my clinic works with opioid dependent individuals. Our State Opioid Treatment Authority and Department of Quality Assurance is STRONGLY contemplating changing the interpretation of the rules to state that a physician is the only one who can change a patient's methadone dose, for example. I have been granted this privilege for YEARS as long as a supervising physician signs my charts and orders. I realize this is a very small niche in medicine (addiction), but I think changing this interpretation and possible law change would be a HUGE step back for our profession. I don't need this job but something seems amiss when I can place a chest tube under the supervision of a MD but can't adjust an opoid dependent individual's medication under the supervision of a MD.  This is especially disheartening given our nation-wide opioid epidemic. Our governor has enacted very pro PA legislation in the past so I don't understand why this change is taking place. I have contacted the AAPA but would appreciate input, referrals/contacts, etc regarding this matter. Thanks for reading.

Sam

I'd push the issue.  You shouldn't be going backwards as access is bad enough for these patients (I know you know this), and this is nothing more than reactionary nonsense to the witch hunt currently underway regarding opiates and their use in medicine.  As always, these issues are state medical board dependent but I suspect you can make a case for grandfathering at the least. 

Good luck,

G

Guest Paula

Hi spensj:  

We talked yesterday and I sent you an email.  Check your spam folder as it is sent under my hotmail account.  I have already notified the advocacy committee, am researching the regs for our state, will have our WAPA lawyer look into it. 

We will keep in touch and will need all hands on board for the next several years for advocacy in our state and I look forward to working with you. 

Paula

Guest Paula

You could change your acronym to WAAPA or we could change ours to WIAPA.  I don't know how to pronounce WIAPA........why op a? 

WAAPA makes sense for you to change your title.

Oh, wait.  That might cost money.  Never mind. 

Archived