What exactly is case based learning in PA school?

I'm a pre-pa student and i'm preparing for any possible interviews in the upcoming months. Part of that is preparing for the question "Why do you want to attend our PA program?" After browsing through several program's Program descriptions, I've noticed that some schools state that they perform "Case presentation and case based learning", while others do not. 

For those who have attended PA school, what did this mean in terms of how you were taught? Don't all PA programs promote case based learning and critical thinking?

I am currently in the first semester of the didactic year at Eastern Michigan University. Case based learning is attached to our pathophysiology course.  There are 6 students per small group with 1 faculty member to help guide our thought processes and answer questions we can't reason out on our own. Every Monday, we are provided a simulated case using software called DxR Clinician. The software is helpful and allows us to interview, physically examine, and perform tests on a simulated patient. The case is related to diagnoses we've been learning about in our other classes (so far we've been learning dermatology and mental health diagnoses). We're also given 6 "learning objectives" each week. Each student in the small group is assigned one objective to present to the rest of the group on Fridays. The objectives are always related to pathophysiology of the diagnoses we have been learning about. We have monthly essay exams (20-25 questions each) about all topics covered.

I'm only a month into the program but so far I really like the setup of the class. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Many schools use some form of cased based learning, but not all and often to varying degrees. With case based learning, you break into small groups with a facilitator and work through a case. You start with a chief complaint and creat a giant list of differential diagnoses and teach yourself the diseases on your list. You aske questions/order tests to rule in or rule out those problems. The idea is by the end of the case you've taught yourself a piece of the medical field. Ideally, if you do this enough times you are competent to practice medicine. Some schools use this method exclusively and others use it to supplement formal lecture style teaching. I think it is best to use it as a supplement so you guarantee you haven't missed any important concepts.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.chatham.edu/mpas/video.cfm?fileName=diagnoses

this is an example of a Case Based learning style/ problem based learning. There are some PA schools that have been implementing this learning but I heard is increasing in medical schools.

this is a very interesting article on a parallel study for both lecture based and problem based as well.

http://www2.paeaonline.org/index.php?ht=action/GetDocumentAction/i/25439

Archived