does this count as direct patient contact experience?

Hi everyone,

I thought this counted as direct patient contact but I've been hearing different things. I want to make sure that I account this into the right category.

The position I am questioning is working as a Resident Care Associate in a senior living community. A requirememt for the position is a CNA license. I mainly assisted with ADLs like personal hygiene, ticketing, transporting yo activities, feeding, and changing clothes. I also helped collect urine samples when they were requestd for and did manual blood pressures as needed. I also helped with setting up oxygen equipment for the residents that needed it. I informed my supervisors of any mental changes that I observed while caring for the patients.

I've heard that this may not count because it is not in a clinical setting. Can someone clarify whether or not this counts as direct patient contact experience?

Thanks!

• Administrator

Yes, it is direct patient care experience.  It's not the greatest, but it should count for most programs.  Each of them make their own rules, however, so if you have a specific question, directing it to the individual program to which you'll be applying is a good idea.

Archived