New Grad: Respectable EM Offer

New grad here with an offer in EM. I'll be working in the main ED at a small hospital in the southeast with a volume of roughly 50k patients annually. I am happy with this offer and I like the area! 

-Full time

-12 hour shifts (11-16+ shifts a month)

-$50/hr 

-HSA premium completely paid. $1500 contributed to deductible annually. 

-Medical Mal with tail

-401k after one year with 5% contributed 

-CME 2k

-Expected to see 1.3 patients/hr

I'll be reevaluated after 90 days. Verbally stated that If I see more than 1.3 patients/hr then I'll receive a raise. I've heard raise to 55/hr from current PAs.

Thanks everyone! 

If you're happy with it and it's a low COL area then go for it. New grad EM offers are hard to come by from what I hear. Make sure to get everything in writing though, including the raise part. Also, make sure you will always have someone you can ask for help (especially the first 6 months).

Good offer, except for the fact that there is no PTO. I am not sure what you mean by 16+ shifts in a month. I know 11 is the minimum, but if they give you 19 shifts a month, is it mandatory for you to do it? I would clear that up because it might burn you out very quickly, especially as a new grad.

Thanks for the input! I will be presenting all of my patients to the attending and they will "see" them. Im not sure if that is hands on or not, but I like that extra back up as a new Grad. 

Yea unfortunately no PTO but its EM and I'm a new grad so I'm not going to complain. No its not mandatory to do "x" amount of shifts. They schedule you for full time so 11-12 shifts a month and you can pick up more. Anything over 40 hours a week is time and a half.

Archived