FM - low pt volume in contract?

Hey all,

Soon to be new grad (~6 months) and I have a question about patient volumes, contracts, and reality. I was recently in a small FM clinic and loved it. Primary care has been my interest from the get-go, and this solidified it for me. However, this practice was really a dream set-up. Established pts. got minimum 30 minutes visits, but the schedule was usually blocked off for 45. All new pts. got 1 hour. We usually saw ~10 a day, with 14 being the upper limit (16 once). I liked the flow, the time to really talk with the patients, chart, and look stuff up.

I feel as a new grad especially, a low daily pt. volume will contribute to a more conducive learning environment, allowing me to research, ask a mentor, etc. I worked in an ED where providers picked up pts at their own pace, you could get 6 per shift or 16, but it was up to you and how swamped/difficult things were atm. Clinics usually aren't as dynamic.

I've seen jobs in FM advertised like this: "8-12 patients per day" or "see no more than 12 patients per shift". But I often wonder how much of that is a sales pitch vs. reality. I would certainly think it prudent to get such a statement in the contract vs. relying on the job listing. And it's not as though I'm adverse to helping out even if my # has been seen, I just want to avoid getting into some place that says "okay, we have your 22 patients scheduled for today" after a month or two in. Especially for the first couple of years.

So, my questions:

How does one approach a possible employer about firm daily patient limit?

Is this something to get in the contract?

Is taking a lower salary a fair exchange for seeing less pts per day?

Thanks.

• Administrator

I negotiated 2 per hour, 25% charting time.  That means 12 patients in an 8 hour day.  I often do more in walk-in, where I chart as I go, but the point is to see no more patients than I can both 1) care for well, and 2) chart for well.

Rev,

That sounds ideal to me! I remember you became a PA as a second career, was this something you negotiated as a new grad? If so, that's encouraging. I feel as if it's a coin toss between places that care only for volume/revenue and places that care about doing it "right", although I hope my impression is incorrect. Either way, I don't feel that I can see a great many patients in a day and still deliver the care they deserve. I'm just not shaping into that type of provider.

Thanks for the reply

• Administrator

No, it's something I negotiated after having my patient load unilaterally increased by Group Health without additional compensation and without any change in the responsibilities I was required to complete each visit.  At the time, that was a salaried position, and so I exercised my right to unilaterally modify MY end of the contract.

Simple business, really: I don't take pay cuts to my base salary based on company performance.  Had there been a bonus structure that responded to company profitability, like Intel had, and had Group Health managed to respond to changing economics appropriately, the outcome might have been different.

25 yesterday in "snot/cough" clinic over what amounts to a 6.5' schedule (first pt. seen 15" after walking in, hr. down at lunch but was done w/i 5" of lunch break, and last pt. done within 15" of closing). This allows me to "educate" pt. for those few who seem to actually want to know but at least I can document that they were told and then chart with Cerner using drop in defaults for PMH, ROS, PE, and D/C instructions. Now I hear collaborating docs want us to add belly sx. w/o lab capability as well. Fine. "You have abdominal c/o? I'll send you over to our collaborating doc's office. You have a PCP? Hmm, should've gone to see them then, and yes, the collaborating doc's office will bill you." This is not what the original idea was for the clinic. I've got a knack for finding something that sounds great (15-20 and no PCP reaponsibility/high acuity pts.) that shortly thereafter goes to pot.

Archived