Would I be considered weak (in general)?

This is in regards to my volunteer experience. I've volunteered for a hospice for two years. (I'm only applying to schools who would accept this as HCE, to clarify.) Despite volunteering for more than a year, I believe I have less than 500 hours. The reason being that I've more than once had to step away and decompress, so to speak. I'd laugh, cry and get to know some of the best people I've ever met and they'd be gone just like that. It's heartbreaking, depressing, etc.

If I were to get an interview by some miracle, I feel like this would be a serious issue. Not just the fact that my HCE is low, but I'm worried that admission would think I just have a weak character... :/

8 years in the military, 5 years as a cop, 3 years as an ER tech. I've cried like a baby. Seen doctors, nurses, SEALs, and other cops do the same. It ain't weak character, so get that idea out of your brain pan right now. Any program with experienced people in it will view it the same. Hospice is tough, and everyone knows it.

That being said, your HCE is low. Get more. If not at the hospice, than somewhere else.

People die. All the time. It's the unfortunate reality of medicine that the mainstream thinks that for some reason we're supposed to be immune to as health care providers. We're not. Death is always difficult to deal with. Crying is part of it. Don't ever think it's not okay. 

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/12/10/death-and-sandwiches/?ref=health&_r=0

My recommendation is to try a different form of HCE for a while. If you're really opposed to getting certified and do something paid, most local hospitals have volunteer programs, do something in there. There will still be death but it won't always be as frequent. I volunteered in hospice for a while and its rough when your favorite patients suddenly pass away, especially when they were seemingly starting to feel better. Being human and having emotions like this is very important as a PA because part of your job is not only to assess patients but to connect with them and make them feel comfortable so that you can effectively solve the problem. Patients won't respond well to a robotic PA and if they have a bad experience, they'll be reluctant to seek out medical help next time they have an issue.

That being said, if you become a PA, you will not be able to take days/weeks off to decompress. It simply happens too frequently and you would wind up hardly ever working. You're certainly still allowed to cry and probably even expected to but it will become a problem in terms of employment if you let it affect your ability to see other patients that still need your help. I'm not saying you should harden up and brush death off, but you should try to learn ways to handle it easier and the perfect time to do that is while you are a volunteer and you still do have the opportunity to step away for a little bit. If you can stick it out at the hospice to help you practice this then do it. But for your application's sake, I recommend volunteering in a different clinical setting in addition to the hospice so that you can continue to rack up more hours. 

If you do get interviews and it comes up, be honest and highlight the fact that you were able to grow so close to patients. Not everyone can build connections like that with others and like I mentioned above, thats a very important quality.

Thanks for the replies. I've gotten better at handling my emotions since I started volunteering at the hospice, it was just rough at the beginning.

I have another unrelated question...I've been working as a biostatistician for the past decade, and involved in numerous clinical research (data analysis, protocol creation, etc.). Where would I put that under when entering hours? It's healthcare related, but certainly not direct patient care. Would it be something I would need to ask each school?

Remember that just bc the schools you are applying to count your volunteering as HCE, many other applicants will have paid HCE experience which is generally considered stronger and is often more likely to be direct PCE.  Unless the rest of your application is outstanding, 500 hours is not doing you any favors.  You need more and better HCE.

Archived