Gettin into PA school

I just graduated with a Clinical Laboratory Science degree. My cumulative is 3.45.

Most of the science classes I took were professional level science classes (clinical microbiology,immunohematology, and biochemistry), but here is a breakdown of my basic science classes, along with the grades I received in each class:

Genetics I: A

Inorganic chem I: A

Inorganic chem II: B

Organic chem I: A

Microbiology: A

Biology I: A

Anatomy and Physiology I: B

Environmental Ecology: B

Do you believe that I stand a good chance of getting into PA school? What is the average admitted GPA? I haven't decided if I want to pursue this career or a degree in public health, but I'm trying to keep my options as broad as possible.

Honesty would be appreciated. Thanks!

You can do a couple of things to answer this question. First check out the websites for programs you might be interested in. They usually have a class profile on there that will tell you things like averages and ranges for various stats, including GPA. Second, search for the thread on here where accepted applicants post their stats. That'll give you a good idea of what's competitive.

Most importantly, realize that GPA is just one part of the equation. You'll find that quantity/quality of healthcare experience, writing a good personal statement, GRE scores, and recommendations also plays into the admissions game. Your current GPA might be very competitive or thoroughly unremarkable depending on these other factors. 

Your GPA is middle of the pack.  Not outstanding but not prohibitive.  You need HCE before you can even consider yourself a good applicant for PA school.  Why did you pursue CLS?  CLS is night and day from PA.  I can tell you from experience, most people who pursue CLS do so bc they don't WANT to interact with patients or they like the behind the scenes aspect of it.  Obviously things can change as there are plenty of lab people who have gone the PA route, but you just graduated. 

Like doug said, there are a LOT of factors for getting into PA school.  Based on GPA alone, you have A chance. Not necessarily a great one, but a chance.  You need HCE, shadowing, etc to be a competitive applicant.

I just graduated with a Clinical Laboratory Science degree. My cumulative is 3.45.

Most of the science classes I took were professional level science classes (clinical microbiology,immunohematology, and biochemistry), but here is a breakdown of my basic science classes, along with the grades I received in each class:

Genetics I: A

Inorganic chem I: A

Inorganic chem II: B

Organic chem I: A

Microbiology: A

Biology I: A

Anatomy and Physiology I: B

Environmental Ecology: B

Do you believe that I stand a good chance of getting into PA school? What is the average admitted GPA? I haven't decided if I want to pursue this career or a degree in public health, but I'm trying to keep my options as broad as possible.

Honesty would be appreciated. Thanks!

There are some programs that have dual MPH/PA programs. You could do both...

Archived