Entering planned courses and then not taking them

I was wondering if there is a consensus on putting in planned courses, and then choosing not to take them--would this reflect negatively?  I am considering taking pharmacology and/or biochemistry next school year.  On the one hand, it may look good to schools to show that I'm planning on doing extra science study (I was a music major, so pretty much just have the required pre-reqs). However, if I self-study the material and end up deciding not to spend the extra money on the courses, I'm not sure if schools would think badly of this.

Thanks!

If they aren't required for programs and you think there's a chance you won't actually take them, don't list them.

I listed planned courses and had to change the semester they were under (they were 'take at your pace' courses that spanned multiple semesters) but I only listed ones I had paid for/knew I was going to take.

If you list as planned and don't take it, there's always the chance a school could revoke your admission offer.  Don't take that chance.  Don't play the game to make yourself look better upfront and then cop out - because that's kind of what it sounds like you want to do. Basically 'lie' but 'change your mind to save money and just self-study'.  It's a bad move.

Thank you for your response, that absolutely makes sense.  Here is perhaps a better example:  There is one school that I'm looking at which requires an ethics class.  No other school does.  I was considering putting a planned ethics course for next year's Spring semester, so that the school would see that I will meet their requirements (otherwise they wouldn't even consider me).  However, should I not be granted an interview, and no one else "cares" about an ethics class, I may want to save the couple thousand dollars.

But I can see how that could reflect poorly, yeah.

• Administrator

If they aren't required for programs and you think there's a chance you won't actually take them, don't list them.

[...]

If you list as planned and don't take it, there's always the chance a school could revoke your admission offer.

I disagree.  In my experience, a school will only extend a contingent offer with the contingencies (e.g., complete biochem with a B or better) clearly spelled out in the acceptance letter.  Listing things planned is a plan, not a contract.

In my successful CASPA app year, I had planned to take (and successfully completed) Cultural Anthropology, OChem I, and Physics III.  I also had Ochem II, Biochem, Physics II, and Calculus II listed as planned but didn't end up taking a single one of those classes, because I got an acceptance instead, so I ended up only doing 3 of 7 that I had planned.  My school did require me to submit a transcript showing that I had successfully completed OChem I, but that was it.

Thank you Rev, I appreciate the feedback.  I may just add the 1 or 2 non-prerequisite courses that I do plan on taking.  I haven't even decided yet where I would take them, but will put in the most likely choices, and update programs that I'm in contact with if/when things change.

Archived