A&P Course Question

Hey friends,

I've been looking up PA programs and have seen that a lot of them require two semesters of A&P. At my university, they only offer one combined A&P course with lab worth 4 credit hours. My question is, do I need to take an advanced level A&P course to meet the prerequisite? Really hoping I can still apply to the PA programs I was looking at.

Thanks!

• Administrator

Sounds like it.  A&P is typically a full year series, so if they have basic and advanced, then yeah, that sounds like it would be required. Call individual programs if you have questions, and it will help if you can show them catalog descriptions and/or syllabi for the courses in question.

My university was the same way. I ended up having to take an additional A&P sequence and ended up with 12 credits of A&P. The schools you're applying to may be different, but the general consensus I got was that the 8 credit hour sequence was pretty much non-negotiable 

That's what i feared. Alas, there's no way for me to take additional courses at this time. The only program I can apply to is the university I graduated from. Hopefully I can find other similar programs. If anyone knows of any-please let me know!

Edit: checked the courses offered past the a&p course I took and the descriptions underneath state "cannot be taken in addition to (name of a&p course I took). This is a real bummer.

That's what i feared. Alas, there's no way for me to take additional courses at this time. The only program I can apply to is the university I graduated from. Hopefully I can find other similar programs. If anyone knows of any-please let me know!

Edit: checked the courses offered past the a&p course I took and the descriptions underneath state "cannot be taken in addition to (name of a&p course I took). This is a real bummer.

I'd contact the school (if you want to take further A&P there) and explain the situation.  I'm sure it's set up that way so people don't fluff their transcript by essentially taking the same class twice but if you have a legit reason (applying to PA school) you may be able to get special permission.  It's worth asking at least.

Update - I was able to find a summer online physiology course worth 5 credits hours within a different department (Physiology). No lab. Think I will take that as most schools I am looking at do not indicate a need for a lab portion. Hopefully it will suffice. If anyone was in the same boat, let me know your advice. Thanks all!

Update - I was able to find a summer online physiology course worth 5 credits hours within a different department (Physiology). No lab. Think I will take that as most schools I am looking at do not indicate a need for a lab portion. Hopefully it will suffice. If anyone was in the same boat, let me know your advice. Thanks all!Schools

It's pretty standard for schools to require two semesters of A&P. This can be done as one semester of anatomy and one of physiology or two semesters of A&P. Since you have one semester of A&P, you really need to find another A&P course to meet requirements. Taking the physiology course will still leave you short in covering the anatomy requirement. 

I had a semester of physiology from my BS requirements, but was then faced with taking 2 semesters of A&P to meet prereq requirements. 

Archived