Least Expensive HCE To Obtain?

I was initially thinking of getting my HCE through possibly working as a Surgical Tech. but the schools I've looked at here in California are another $24,000 to $30,000! What are some foot in the door, least expensive yet a high learning environment for an aspiring PA? I was thinking EMT - but I've got no idea how to get certifications for that nor if there is an area in my locale available.

You might want to check and see if there are any Regional Occupation Programs (ROP) in your area. Do a search. They used to offer CNA & MA training. For at least half the California PA programs MA tends to be a desired HCE. May be easier to get that surg tech training.

LesH

I'll look into those ROPs.

I've found a campus that has about five different health care programs here in my locale. I can't really branch out elsewhere because I am also getting my General Education from a Community College in the area. If you had to choose, which program of study would you prefer as a viable concentration for HCE?

The campus that seems most feasible to me would be this: http://www.cnei.edu/

$17/hour is a MUCH higher than average rate for CNA. In the south my two CNA jobs have been 10 and 12 dollars an hour, respectively. I had a chance to make 16/hr at a wound care center but heard the work was grueling. 10-14 an hour is a more realistic range to expect.

BUT, I have made "more" money by having a great benefits package including some tuition reimbursement, paid time off, and good insurance.

BUT, I have made "more" money by having a great benefits package including some tuition reimbursement, paid time off, and good insurance.

Wow, that is a nice deal! I am young enough to stay on my parent's insurance, so I found my old home healthcare position privately and negotiated that rate. They were paying an agency over $20/hour for care so felt they were getting a good deal on me. They did lose the benefit of the agency's guarantee to always have staff available, but I never called in sick, gave plenty of notice when a day off was needed and before leaving the position so it worked out well for all parties involved. Highly recommend going this route.

Archived