Emergency Medicine Per Diem

I spent the first 3-4 years of my career in Emergency Medicine.  I had a couple of children and decided Urgent Care hours were more to my liking so I've been doing Urgent Care now for the last 6-7 years.  Now that my kids are older, I am looking to transition back into Emergency Medicine on a Per Diem (Part-time) basis.

My question for Emergency Medicine providers out there is do the Per Diem shifts tend to be the extra shifts left over after the full timers have been scheduled, or do you usually get first crack at a new monthly schedule?  One of my concerns is I do not want to work every weekend and I know from my full time urgent care position those shifts tend to be the most difficult for my boss to fill.  

I appreciate your input.

Most places schedule full time folks first and then on call/per diem so most per diem shifts are nights/weekends/holidays or covering for the full timers to do vacation or cme. I have 3 per diem jobs. one is all nights, one is all weekends, and 1 place is so rural and small that my shifts are all over the place because they only have 1 full time PA and 1 full time doc and the rest of the shifts are done by per diem folks 24/7/365.

Former staff PA, just transitioned to per diem over the last 6 months for a job in academia. For my group, the scheduler asks me for any weekends I want to work about 3 months in advance. These are pretty much guaranteed- they always need extra coverage on weekends. The rest of just a crapshoot. I look at the schedule the first day it comes out and pickup what I can. Otherwise it's pretty much picking up shifts day of for sick calls or pickups for vacation coverage, CME, etc. Not ideal but the flexibility is worth it to me right now!

Archived