Can someone help me with the PA school Application timeline?

I am confused on the whole applying to PA school thing. Plan on applying in the future, but just want to get everything squared away so there is no rushing. 

Originally I thought the new cycle of PA on CASPA was on Mid April, but then I check on CASPA all the schools are closed now, so I am confused. All the schools only post their deadline, but when does the application officially opens so I can take advantage of the rolling admissions?

Also in regards to the secondary applications, does all of that needs to be done when I apply? Or can I do that later? Is it usually a year after acceptance before you go off to PA school?

Last question is what are your thoughts on provisionally accredited schools? Couple of schools near where I live that are brand new. Am I able to sit for the PANCE exam and become a certified PA going to a provisional accredited school? From my knowledge, I believe that after the first graduating class that's when they will become fully accredited after review, I think the chances for a school not to be accredited is small unless something major happens?

Secondary, or supplemental, applications are submitted after you electronically submit your initial CASPA application. Once submitted, the program reviews your materials and will notify you of an interview offer or rejection.

After the interview, if you receive an acceptance, PA school generally starts the following year.

Example:

CASPA opens - April 2016

Submit CASPA application/supplemental applications - May 2016

Interview - August 2016

Acceptance offer - September 2016

Program starts - January 2017 or Summer 2017 (depending on the program)

Every school has a different timeline of when the secondary application is due. You will have to look at the specific programs you want to apply for to see when those deadlines are. Remember, most schools work on rolling admissions, so the earlier you have things in the better. If you don't have your supplemental in, your application will been seen by the school as "incomplete" and you wouldn't be offered an interview. My advice is to pick the programs you want to attend the most and make sure to have everything in for those as soon as possible. GatorChomp mentioned a good timeline for some schools with the most important thing of getting your application in as soon as possible. A lot of programs are getting over 1000 applications that are considered "complete" and even more partially completed applications. So you want to turn in your application early since you are trying to get one of those 40-50 spots they have. 

Also there are some programs that are a January start date, so it could be 6 months from the time you apply to getting an interview offer, getting offered acceptance, and then starting the program. Most schools have an August start so it would be a year, but again look into the programs you are specifically interested in because some have different starting times (my program started June 1st). 

I don't feel like I have the experience or knowledge to speak to a provisional program. Hopefully a moderator or someone who is a faculty at a program that is/was provisional can help shed some light on that topic.

Good luck!

Archived