New Grad ER Offer

This is for a position within Los Angeles

Small ~ 20 bed ER

Expected to work 16 shifts/month. Every shift is 12pm-10pm

Would be an employee of the medical group

$64/hr + benefits (4 weeks PTO, 401k match to 7%, health, vision, dental, malpractice). Unsure about tail coverage. I'll have to specifically ask. 

I'll start off shadowing (paid), then overlap with another PA, then work as the only PA once competent. 

Average 25 pt/shift. The PAs see mostly non-acute patients

Any thoughts? Thanks

is this a fast track position? is there someone around to bounce things off of when you are "alone". if not, probably not a great fit for a new grad. other than that looks ok. work out who pays licenses, dea, etc

It's an ER with an RME (pretty similar to a fast track) which I would be mostly responsible for in addition to the non-sick ER patients. It would be 1 doc:1 PA for my shift duration. There's no way of being sure that the physicians are open to me bouncing things off of them, but I have been told that it would be expected of me to do so...

EDIT: Just updated salary. The last 2 hours of the shift are 1.5x

This is for a position within Los Angeles

Small ~ 20 bed ER

Expected to work 16 shifts/month. Every shift is 12pm-10pm

Would be an employee of the medical group

$64/hr + benefits (4 weeks PTO, 401k match to 7%, health, vision, dental, malpractice). Unsure about tail coverage. I'll have to specifically ask. 

I'll start off shadowing (paid), then overlap with another PA, then work as the only PA once competent. 

Average 25 pt/shift. The PAs see mostly non-acute patients

Any thoughts? Thanks

So will your yearly salary be $122,880? ($64/hr*16shift/mo*10hr/shift*12months)

16 shifts a month is a different agreement than 4 shifts per week...

192 vs 208 shifts per year

The difference is also apparent when you try to figure out what sort of time off you can depend on each week/month.

He said 16/month and also 4/week.... I guess there's something else I should clear up

Guest ERCat

That's awesome. Only thing I am concerned about is 25 a shift? Wowza - that's a lot for a new grad in ER honestly. My first two months I was only seeing 10-12 per shift and now I see around 15 per shift, four months in. I see all varieties of patients (fast track and main) but even this keeps me busy!

That's awesome. Only thing I am concerned about is 25 a shift? Wowza - that's a lot for a new grad in ER honestly. My first two months I was only seeing 10-12 per shift and now I see around 15 per shift, four months in. I see all varieties of patients (fast track and main) but even this keeps me busy!

It's going to be mostly low-acuity and it won't be 20-25 right off the bat. That's my longterm goal 

Archived