Pediatric offer New grad

Need help with this offer;

3 year contract: 85k 1st year and then 90k

Vacation total 3 weeks (Personal vacation, cme and sick time)

$1500 cme

15 mile non-compete clause 

Malpractice- claims made NO TAIL

Not covered: Tail, DEA, License renewal fees

25-35 pts per day after a couple of months of training

Guest ERCat

Three year contract? I always get hesitant when it comes to these contracts (especially for a new grad... As new grads often change jobs after their first year or even sooner). Is there a penalty if you break this contract? If so, RUN. No new contract needs to be that long... Can you imagine being stuck in a job you hate, or with inadequate supervision, or with a grueling schedule, for three years?

The pay is good for a new grad! I think most of my classmates who went into primary care are making around that much.

The vacation is fine to me, too. Most of my classmates got around two weeks for CME/vacation/sick as well. I got stuck with eight days so your offer seems dreamy to me. Haha. However I do ER and pay is hourly and I only work 16 - wo shifts a month.

1500 CME seems average. That is good.

The 15 mile no compete is RIDICULOUS. Like unbelievable! That radius would cover the vast majority of clinics in my town. I would never accept that unless I wanted to never work as a PA again!

The no tail thing could really suck. If you left you would be stuck paying THOUSANDS of dollars to cover your butt for the next few years. You have to take that into account and basically subtract that from the salary.

Some places don't cover licensing fees, so I don't think that's a deal breaker.

25-35 patients per day sounds... Grueling? And not even doable for a new grad even after a few weeks or months of training.

I am not impressed by this offer. You deserve better! I would take the job if they completely got rid of the no compete and the three year contract and offered tail. The compensation is decent.

Need help with this offer;

3 year contract: 85k 1st year and then 90k                                                                   1

Vacation total 3 weeks (Personal vacation, cme and sick time)                          2

$1500 cme

15 mile non-compete clause 

Malpractice- claims made NO TAIL                                                                            3

Not covered: Tail, DEA, License renewal fees                                                     4

25-35 pts per day after a couple of months of training                                     5

Red flags have been numbered in bold. I would pass without any hesitation. You can do better.

I agree. A 3 year contract is an automatic red flag. You should never sign these, no matter what they offer you especially if you are a new grad. 3 weeks is not really that bad, but you should get some time for CME. If not, it's not really a big deal.

However, No DEA or Tail and 25-35 patients only after couple of months of training is a complete deal breaker. Look somewhere else.

I agree. A 3 year contract is an automatic red flag. You should never sign these, no matter what they offer you especially if you are a new grad. 3 weeks is not really that bad, but you should get some time for CME. If not, it's not really a big deal.

However, No DEA or Tail and 25-35 patients only after couple of months of training is a complete deal breaker. Look somewhere else.

I signed a three year contract.  No regrets!

I signed a three year contract.  No regrets!

Nice, but my understanding is that it is rare. Although I am not in school yet (will start this summer), but I have worked with some PAs who have signed a 3 year contract and say they regret it. Why sign a 3 year contract when you can renew it after one year with a raise? What if you get a better offer after two years or if you get tired of doing the same thing again and again and want to switch? What if the management changes after one year and things are not as smooth?

Archived