Please Review. I will return the favor!

I was sitting in the back of the classroom, focused on my assignment when I heard a loud commotion. I quickly analyzed the situation and found a student lying on the ground. I ran over to him while everyone else remained motionless. I determined that he was having a seizure. My instincts took over as I held him in my arms. I kept him on his side and protected his head. Paramedics arrived shortly after and thanked me for acting so quickly. The feeling of helping a person in need was unlike any other. Little did I know, my kind-heart and scientific background would lead me on my career path to becoming a physician assistant.

In college, I was proficient in science courses especially when it came to analyzing data and coming to a conclusion. Therefore, my desire was to become a research scientist. While in school, I worked as the head veterinary technician at an animal hospital. During this time, I formed a respectable and valuable relationship with the doctor. Working for him was like getting paid for learning. He took every opportunity to explain and teach the details of a disease or diagnosis. I learned something new every day and I loved it. While treating the animals at the hospital was the main priority, forming relationships with the clients was also of vital importance. A favored responsibility of mine was client education. This gave me a chance to have direct human interaction by teaching clients how to care for their sick pet at home. Demonstrations included diabetes management, medication administration, subcutaneous fluid therapy and physical therapy. Clients appreciated that I was able to clearly explain treatment or procedures in a way that they could easily understand. I cherish the skills and experience I gained from the animal hospital. However, becoming a veterinarian was not my goal.

Upon completion of my bachelor’s degree, becoming a research scientist was still my path ahead so I took an office job while preparing my application to graduate school. I began to doubt my career choice due to my longing for human interaction and a sense of purpose. Since I loved working in the animal hospital, I decided to start shadowing to see if human health care would be as appealing to me as animal care. I put my researching skills to use and learned about the different roles of health care providers. I concluded that being a nurse was not for me due to my interest in the diagnostics and analytical aspects of medicine. The versatility of the PA profession caught my interest. I contacted a local family care doctor who had a PA working at his practice and they mutually agreed to let me shadow.

My nerves began to creep up on me as I drove to the doctor’s office on my first day of shadowing. However, upon arrival, I was instantly relived. The environment was very similar to the animal hospital, except with no animals. Days consisted of accompanying the PA and/or the medical doctor in exam rooms to observe how patients were diagnosed and treated. I admired how the PA worked with patients and made every diagnosis easy to understand. The relationship between the PA and MD was similar to my relationship with the veterinarian. The PA was able to ask the MD any questions in which he would explain the details thoroughly. Due the necessity of working a full time job, I was only able to spend one day a week shadowing at the doctor’s office. The MD recognized my potential and offered to pay me to shadow in order to teach and prepare me as much as possible for my future as a PA. What started off as a shadow experience turned into a part time job and I could not have been happier to partake in such an amazing opportunity. I spent three days a week at the doctor’s office, working as a team with either the MD or PA. I began appointments by asking the patient general questions about their current illness and documenting all of the findings into the EMR. The MD or PA would then review orders and give explanations while I continued to document. Notes were then reviewed and edited as necessary by the MD or PA. Once again, I was being paid to learn and obtain experience that would help me towards my goal of becoming a PA.

While shadowing, I also volunteered at a free health care clinic called Volunteers in Medicine, Community Hospice and at UF Health in the emergency department. These opportunities allowed me to gain experience in different areas of medicine. My passion for helping others and being involved in the health care field is immense. Becoming a PA will allow me to use my analytical mind to effectively diagnose and treat patients. My creativity will be utilized by thinking outside of the box to come up with innovative treatment plans for patients. Having a physician above me to look to for guidance is ideal to me. My mind is always open to other opinions and will always value the input of the supervising physician. The versatility of the PA career is ideal for me and will satisfy my forever-growing urge to learn something new.

Archived