I am current MEDEX student: Available for questions!

I am seeking for advice from you MEDEX students/alumni. I am currently a third-year undergraduate with a major in Biological Sciences at UC Davis in California. I initially started my college career as a pre-med student but decided to change route towards becoming a PA. I have extensive clinical experience, working primarily as a medical transcriber in the ER for over four years (8000+ hours). I have worked countless hours alongside MD and PA's as part of my job. I have strongly considered applying to MEDEX to obtain a bachelor. I should complete my Anatomy & Physiology pre-req by the end of this spring. I have already completed General Biology, General Chemistry, and English courses. Overall GPA is roughly 3.1. My question is would it be wise to apply for admission to MEDEX prior to completing my degree at UC Davis? Note that it will be another two years before I finish here. I am thinking why bother staying here when I plan on applying to a PA school regardless subsequent to finishing my undergrad. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I'd first contact MEDEX to be certain your medical transcriber hours will count; they specifically define HCE hours as hands-on experience in the direct delivery of medical care to patients. If your hours meet their definition I'd say apply!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi all, I'm a first year PA student in Seattle. I'm available if anyone has any questions about admissions, etc.

So, fire away - housing? Selection conferences? What they are looking for? And, keep your heads up! This is a very difficult process that requires a lot of patience!

I wish you the best.

Thanks for your offer to answer questions.

I just signed up for a UW/MEDEX Information Session in Yakima, but have not yet received confirmation of a slot.

Yes...difficult process indeed.

According to the MEDEX site, I would be a candidate they're interested in, i.e., 20 year RN with most experience in M/S, ER, ICU and nephrology, work references from MD's and PA-C's, and volunteering overseas (Africa) in an NGO medical mission. But, I'm "old" (45 this year). Ha!

What is confusing me, is pursuing the BCHS vs MCHS. I have my ADN but not all those credits will transfer (I took an accelerated Micro/Gross Anatomy/physiology course), and I CLEP'd out of BIO and ENG which apparently is a no-fly with the UW. Also, the UW has its own requirements apart from the MEDEX program. Looks like there is overlap in requirements for MEDEX and UW, but it is difficult to determine with clarity. Some places on the site say, "you must be accepted first before we determine which of your credits will transfer." Oy!

Trying to figure out if I should obtain my BSN and apply for the MCHS program, but wondering if that would prove more time/$$ than obtaining the BCHS, and then applying to Grad School for the MCHS.

If I go the RN > BSN > MCHS, I will still have to retake BIO, A/P, Micro, Eng in order to be accepted to both UW and MEDEX, from what I can tell.

Very confusing at this point. Will keep knocking on doors and gathering as much info as I can.

UW is first on my choice list for a variety of reasons. I'm going for it.

Hi all, I'm a first year PA student in Seattle. I'm available if anyone has any questions about admissions, etc.

So, fire away - housing? Selection conferences? What they are looking for? And, keep your heads up! This is a very difficult process that requires a lot of patience!

I wish you the best.

I just signed up for a UW/MEDEX Information Session in Yakima, but have not yet received confirmation of a slot.

According to the MEDEX site, I would be a candidate they're interested in, i.e., 20 year RN with most experience in M/S, ER, ICU and nephrology, work references from MD's and PA-C's, and volunteering overseas (Africa) in an NGO medical mission. But, I'm "old" (45 this year). Ha!

What is confusing me, is pursuing the BCHS vs MCHS. I have my ADN but not all those credits will transfer (I took an accelerated Micro/Gross Anatomy/physiology course), and I CLEP'd out of BIO and ENG which apparently is a no-fly with the UW. Also, the UW has its own requirements apart from the MEDEX program. Looks like there is overlap in requirements for MEDEX and UW, but it is difficult to determine with clarity. Some places on the site say, "you must be accepted first before we determine which of your credits will transfer." Oy!

Trying to figure out if I should obtain my BSN and apply for the MCHS program, but wondering if that would prove more time/$$ than obtaining the BCHS, and then applying to Grad School for the MCHS.

If I go the RN > BSN > MCHS, I will still have to retake BIO, A/P, Micro, Eng in order to be accepted to both UW and MEDEX, from what I can tell.

Very confusing at this point. Will keep knocking on doors and gathering as much info as I can.

• 2 weeks later...
Question about summer campus housing: Did you stay in the dorms, or know of someone who did? I have read that they do not allow guests to stay overnight, and as I have family, I am curious as to how strict this is enforced?

Try this number. They might be able to answer your questions or at least direct you to someone who can. This is the number to Terry Hall desk. MEDEX students are assigned to Stevens Court (or at least we were last summer). Stevens Court dorms are designed to house 8 students but during the summer only 4 students are assigned and most everyone is in the MEDEX program or at least a professional program such as pharmacy. The dorms were adequate for the 6 weeks we were there. A desk, a twin sized bed, a shower and a kitchen. Internet via ethernet so take a cord. It's a close walk to the medical school where classes are held. I know that these weren't your questions but hopefully the people at Stevens Court can help. They are probably students answering the phone so ask to speak with a full time employee or to be transferred to someone else if necessary.

Terry Hall desk

Your age and experience are only positives that will help you to become a good clinician. The majority of people in my class are in their 30's and 40's. The issue you may encounter is if you are accepted into MEDEX but not the university you will be placed in the certificate tract. You will do all of the same work as the bachelors students and receive all of the same training but the bank might not realize that and it may be more challenging to gain student loans. I know of a couple of my classmates that are lacking a couple of classes for their degree but are in the bachelors path. They only have to complete some courses this summer. It is not likely that you will receive any info from the UW because most of us didn't receive a definitive decision on any classes we may be lacking until our fall quarter. I think that if you meet the pre-reqs to transfer to the UW you could be placed in the bachelors path regardless of whether they accept specific courses.

I think that if you want to be a PA then knock out the courses necessary to apply to PA school. If you can receive a bachelors in the process great, then apply for the masters program. If you need to take micro, A&P, and english in addition to BSN courses that's probably 3 years before you apply to PA school. If you want to apply to PA school this year you could take A&P in the summer and english and micro in the fall and start PA school next fall. If you are a veteran I know that MEDEX is opening a veteran's campus in Tacoma to open next year.

Try this number. They might be able to answer your questions or at least direct you to someone who can. This is the number to Terry Hall desk. MEDEX students are assigned to Stevens Court (or at least we were last summer). Stevens Court dorms are designed to house 8 students but during the summer only 4 students are assigned and most everyone is in the MEDEX program or at least a professional program such as pharmacy. The dorms were adequate for the 6 weeks we were there. A desk, a twin sized bed, a shower and a kitchen. Internet via ethernet so take a cord. It's a close walk to the medical school where classes are held. I know that these weren't your questions but hopefully the people at Stevens Court can help. They are probably students answering the phone so ask to speak with a full time employee or to be transferred to someone else if necessary.

Terry Hall desk

Thank you!, it does help!

I know you are on the Seattle campus, but do you know if the Spokane classes are held on in the medical building on 5th and Brown, where the information sessions are being held this year. If not, would you know where I could find that out. We are trying to get a head start on house searches, but don't know where we want/need to look!

Thanks for any info!

I know you are on the Seattle campus, but do you know if the Spokane classes are held on in the medical building on 5th and Brown, where the information sessions are being held this year. If not, would you know where I could find that out. We are trying to get a head start on house searches, but don't know where we want/need to look!

Thanks for any info!

• 6 months later...
If you are a veteran I know that MEDEX is opening a veteran's campus in Tacoma to open next year.

It is not exactly a Veterans Campus... meaning it will not be "Vets Only" but they will try to take some of the grant money they received and take more veteran students that should have been accepted but do to the ADCOM process they were waitlisted. Plus it is another Bachelors site, so that makes it vet friendly... Most vets do not have a degree but have enough college or military transfer credits to go for the BCHS.

When I was interviewing in Seattle it seemed that all the interviewers came up with their own questions right before we came in, based off of a conversation two interviewers had in front of my group. I don't think there's any specific ones you should expect, but be prepared to answer a variety about what you think about healthcare and know what you are there for. It's a super relaxed and comfortable environment. I know everyone says not to stress, and I did anyway, but you really don't need to.

I interviewed on Oct 9th and there was definitely not an essay involved. 3 interviews, each about 45 min long. Each interview was comprised of 2 faculty members and 3 applicants. I didn't get the sense that there were set questions that needed to be asked and from what I learned from other applicants no one really got the same questions. I personally was never asked why I wanted to be a PA or why I had chosen to apply to MEDEX, two fairly common questions. I interviewed with MEDEX in 2011 as well and the questions asked in 2011 were vastly different than the ones I was asked in 2012. Maybe that was because I was a re-app, IDK.

• 3 weeks later...

A few questions:

1. How much choice do students have when it comes to clinical site location? I know that one rural/underserved site is required, but I'm wondering how likely it is that I could arrange to have a number of my clinical sites in the SW WA or area.

2. Do any of you know when they typically announce the primary care stipend recipients?

3. Are tests still on paper at MEDEX, or have they switched to computer-based exams?

4. How approachable do you find the faculty to be? Are their offices down near the classrooms?

5. Do most students stay after class and study, or do most people head out after 5:00?

6. Anyone know of any MEDEX student blogs?

Thanks!

I was accepted to the Seattle campus and am wondering if anyone has been single with a pet during the clinical year. I don't see it being a problem during the academic year for me, but am wondering how much notice about your next rotation you have to arrange for someone to watch them for a month or take them to a relative a few hours away from Seattle. I don't currently have any pets of my own, but have been considering getting one. I want to be able to go to the cool clinical sites and don't want to stay just around Seattle. I know I'll at least need a full day to take them out of town to my parents' house if I don't have someone in Seattle to watch them. Does it add too much stress during the clinical year? Are the housing options ever pet-friendly?

I was accepted to the Seattle campus and am wondering if anyone has been single with a pet during the clinical year. I don't see it being a problem during the academic year for me, but am wondering how much notice about your next rotation you have to arrange for someone to watch them for a month or take them to a relative a few hours away from Seattle. I don't currently have any pets of my own, but have been considering getting one. I want to be able to go to the cool clinical sites and don't want to stay just around Seattle. I know I'll at least need a full day to take them out of town to my parents' house if I don't have someone in Seattle to watch them. Does it add too much stress during the clinical year? Are the housing options ever pet-friendly?

Hi Sartort,

I don't know anything about school, since I am pre-PA status, but I have owned pets all my life. As a pet owner and lover, I truly believe that pets are wonderful companions and actually reduce stress. I have 2 dogs and a ferret. You can get away with having a dog if you have a fenced yard, and if you're lucky enough to have a dog that isn't too vocal. You can have it sleep in your room, because they love to have several hours of quality time with their master. You can also use it to motivate you to get some exercise (running or walking) daily, which would help you reduce stress even more. Not sure if you've ever owned a pet, but I am sharing this information "assuming" that you would be a pet lover, and are familiar with all the responsibilities entailed. For instance, I recently spent $700 on a vet visit for one of my dogs due to a mouth injury that caused a complete perforation in his gums. He needed to be sedated to have it cleaned/sutured and received abx too, and yes, he is worth it.

My ferret is amazing. He is pretty low maintenance, very fun, and kid-proof! His cage is cleaned once a day, he has fresh water all day which is in a bottle, and we let him out of the cage 1-2 times daily to let him play for 30-45 minutes each time. I would totally recommend a ferret as long as you raise it from a young age so you can mold his/her behavior. I obviously love pets, you can PM me for any questions, because I can go on and on about my pets...which my kids absolutely love.

I've had pets in the past and know a lot about caring for them. I've loved getting to play with roommates / parents pets during college and like how they provide me with stress relief. I also love running with a dog and it keeps me active when I might otherwise find excuses about how busy I am, etc. I was more concerned about the struggles in the clinical year because multiple month-long rotations in various states could become problematic with a pet, but i was hoping to hear from some people's experiences about how clinical year works to get a better idea of whether or not it's manageable. People keep telling me to wait until the program starts to decide if I have time, but that won't really answer my questions because everything changes after the first year.

That makes sense, I can see how that would be especially hard during those clinical rotations. I hope you get a more definite answer from a current or previous student from MEDEX :) I do hope you would know ahead of time in state you will be having those clinical rotations. Good luck, and I hope it does work out for you!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived